the father I never was (a unikitty one-shot) ⬛

"why won't you let me be with him!!?" Unikitty yelled making her emotional state known, she was positively boiling with angry

"Because he's nothing but trouble and you know it" An authoritative voice replied, his tone, dull and expressionless

"But... Richard... He's been so good to me... maybe if you just gave him a chance you might-"

"You can't be with Master Frown and that's final" Richard stated, firmly, signifying this conversation as 'over'

The young princess flinched as if struck, her eyes welling up with tears " Richard you can't...."

"I can and I will, I'm sorry princess but who you end up with doesn't just effect you but the entire kingdom, you have a responsibility-"

"Ugh! Why can't you just listen to me for once!" Unikitty raised her voice in a mixture of anger and sadness "you were the one who wanted me to find a Valentine! And now i have a boyfriend! Why can't you just be happy for me! Why can't you just let me-"

"Because you're a princess and you need to start acting like it!" The butler snapped causing unikitty to go completely silent, her once vibrant pink hair turning a somber blue.

"Unikitty I-"

"I hate you!" The princess shouted storming off into her room.

Richard sighed and looked up at a picture of a younger unikitty, what ever happened to that sweet little sparkle he had raised....

things had started out innocently enough with Master Frown agreeing to be Unikitty's Valentine but before she knew it the young Doomlord would routinely visit her, even on weekends when he had no 'work' to do, months went by and the two were practically inseparable, soon a silent attraction formed between them and a second kiss... only this time it was Frown who leaned in, however the two were caught in the act by none other than Richard, who was furious with the pair, promptly demanding the boy leave which eventually led to their current squabble.

Richard began to clean up the mess unikitty had left in her wake, sixteen years and she had finally reached her rebellious phase, the old butler pused and sighed once more "she's stubborn..." he murmured in a lost voice "just like...." he stopped himself to stare off into a near by portrait "just like her mother...."

The queen silently smiled back at him, her serene eyes a pinpoint of light forever watching over them "Unibella....if only you were here...." Richard whispered, in a low lonely voice, he was so lost without her,  when he took this job he never thought he'd end up being the one raising her daughter....

though looking back he didn't regret it...

Ten years earlier....

Another party, another sleepless night, the king certainly wasn't going to stop with such self-destructive habits, ever since Puppyjoe married into the royal family, it had been none stop partying and endless celebrations, Richard wasn't happy in the slightest, being kept up all night wasn't something anyone wanted, but he had to endure it for the sake of his career.

The kitchen was far enough away as to not hear the festivities outside, their cheers little more then muffled murmurs.

Richard took out a glass and began to fill it up with water until a little voice broke the ever present silence

"Richard..."

The butler turned to see a little girl no younger then six, blanket and stuffed unicorn in hand

"Princess? What are you doing up at this hour''

"I couldn't sleep''

Richard sighed and took her hand