Chapter 37

With the amount of pacing going on in the castle, you'd think that Hogwarts would be swaying from the efforts. None of the eighth years were quite ready to leave their tower behind.

"Potter, our fearless leader. Will you do the honors and lead us out of here?," Pansy asked.

"Sure Parkinson. Let's go."

With his head held high and a determined glimmer in his eyes, Harry led everyone out of the common room, down the stairs to where they were supposed to line up.

"Well, this is it," McGonagall said, blinking away tears. "I'm truly sorry that you're such a small graduating class. I wish there were more of you, but I'm so incredibly proud of you all for making it this far. You are a testament to how strong your generation is. Remember that Hogwarts will always be your home. Please come visit me, and remember that there is still good in the world."

Squeezing Draco's hand, Harry let their hands detach, but kept their pinkies looped together, even when they were in their respective seats.

"The graduating class, students, faculty, staff, friends, and family. Thank you all for joining us as we bid farewell to our eighth years, as well as some of our seventh years. From here on out, Hogwarts will extend an extra year of education to those who feel as if they need it. All students will have the option to attend an eighth year.

I will admit, this is the hardest speech that I have ever had to give. I am so proud of all of you, but especially my eighth year students. You have all proven that your house does not determine what kind of person you are. You have set an even better example for your younger classmates than I ever could have dreamed. Let this be a lesson to you all that it is never too late to change.

To the Slytherin house especially, you have fought your hardest battles yet. You have come through adversity with your heads held high, and you've somehow managed to keep the Gryffindor house in check, which is no small feat" McGonagall joked.

She observed everyone laughing together, with a small smile on her face.

"It is at this point that I would like to take a few moments of silence to remember everyone that we have lost. While they have fallen, they are not forgotten. Please join me in sending sparks into the sky one last time."

No one said anything as everyone quietly remembered everyone that they had lost, wiping tears from their eyes.

"Remember that Hogwarts will always be your home. May you always keep the friends that you have made here, and hold these lessons that you have learned close to your hearts. I'd like to invite Hermione Granger up to the podium to deliver her speech."

"Hello everyone. In true fashion, I've revised my speech probably hundreds of times, but I feel it may just be best to speak from the heart. When I was 11 and I received my letter, Hogwarts seemed too good to be true. I received my letter almost a full year before it was my time to attend Hogwarts, and in that time I read as many books as possible to be prepared.

For almost the first two months I was here, I had no friends. A lot of people have trouble separating Harry, Ron, and myself from each other, but this wasn't always the case. We didn't become friends until Halloween of our first year when Harry and Ron saved me from the troll in the girl's bathroom.

Throughout my first year with Harry and Ron, I learned many things, but one thing that I told Harry has stuck with me all this time. Books and cleverness, there are more important things — friendship and bravery. I wouldn't be half the witch that I am today without their support.

This past year has brought many unexpected changes upon all of us. I never thought that I'd be studying and battling wits with Draco Malfoy in a positive manner. I'm proud to call him and the rest of the eighth year Slytherins my friends. There is more to all of us than meets the eye, and we all have the ability to change when given the chance."