02 - servitude

85 years ago

85 years ago

"Move, you lowlife!" Vien was pushed down to the muddy ground while he was bringing a heavy object on his back. Without compliance, a whip would land on any part of his body that would leave traces of blood on his pathway. He was an entity afterall. Living in a human vessel was challenging than he ever thought or he was unlucky to be cast away in an island filled with human dwellers who treated outcasts in this manner.

One man fell on the ground and Vien could already distinguish that his life has ended. It might not be just by the merciless whips applied on his body but the excessive heat, hunger and thirst. Most them were sick and incapable to do manual work at all. Vien was one of the selected ones to do such tasks due to his inhumane strength and endurance that most folks would find it rather questionable. Although, Vien still appeared that he was just like any human at all, even if he could barely understand their mother tongue.

"Where did you find him?" A man whose covered with the wolves' fur was sitting on an iron chair made out of a dragon's skin, the leader of the community.

"At the shore, chief. He must be one of those Exedus' men." There was fear in how the man spoke of his report. Either it was because the chief was a man that everyone fear of or knowing that Exedus, the famous captain of a scavenging ship who was an octopus hybrid with a set of icy blue eyes, might be near to their island.

"Even if Exedus is around our radius, they will never find us here," the chief said, confident to his claims since he was the only leader who strategized the invisibility of their clan from the outcasts. They never trust anyone outside their community.

The man's turn to spoke was interrupted when the footsteps of two men caused them to shift their attention to them. Vien was dragged inside the chief's home which was the largest hut of all in the community, then he was thrown in front of the leader. The men took a few steps back to give the spotlight on Vien whose skin was tainted with wounds, bruises and blood. But he seemed like the pain didn't bother him at all.

The chief rose from his seat. His brown eyes were set on the asian man whose knees were still glued on the ground. Vien looked above him to meet the leader's eyes—it was the kind of look that made him feel powerless and that he should submit to him in any circumstances. This kind of feeling.

"What's his name again?" The chief asked as he glanced at one of his men.

"Vien, chief."

"Vien," he repeated then he stoop down on the latter's level, meeting him eye to eye. "Lie to me and I will execute you." It was a warning that Vien wasn't afraid of. Perhaps, he didn't know what death was like since he was an immortal entity who was only borrowing one's human vessel. But he remained unfazed and kept his gaze at the powerful man.