Chapter 12

Sammy was in heaven; scarfing down handfuls of fries while mercilessly devouring his large hamburger, only occasionally pausing to let out an onion and pickle-infused burp. Carter and Lee couldn't hide their shock and slight disgust as he sat right in between them.

After having been stopped by Han and Maurice, they had decided to go somewhere and explain themselves to each other, Sammy naturally volunteered they head over to the nearest Burger King and no objections were made. Though nobody had quite his appetite, their party nonetheless ordered a group meal.

"I think I've just lost my appetite," Trish pushed away her basket of onion rings.

"Don't mind if I do!" Maurice swiped them from her grasp.

"I wouldn't mind figuring out what the hell is going on here," Carter pointed his finger at Trish. "You've been smashing a triad all along?"

She frowned, smacking his finger away. "He's not a triad and we've been dating, pervert."

"Yeah, I'm on your side," Han said, relieved to hear that Trish still saw him as a love interest. "I mean, her side. If you're on her side, then technically I'm on your side too."

"We'll only be on your side if you cooperate with us," Lee opened his burger to pluck out the pickles. "I was contacted by the Chinese and American authorities that activity from the Triad was threatening the country and could most likely spread to other countries as well. They sent me here to investigate a series of building explosions, the last one was at some random-"

"-apartment," Trish finished his sentence, making him raising his head to look at her. "They were trying to kill me..."

"You're one of their targets?" Lee questioned. "Do you know what they want?"

"They're not after me, personally. They want to hurt my father, but I haven't figured out why yet."

"Isaak O' Day? What could the Triad have against him?"

"Well, he was in a war with them not too long ago, that is, those in Oakland. Their leader had plotted with my dad's right-hand man to sabotage a deal he had with the NFL in order to get that deal for himself and takeover his rival's territory. But Han and I stopped them and the other triad families ended up turning on Ch'u, so he... took his life away."

Sammy started coughing on his fries. "Ch'u's dead?!"

"What about your father's right-hand?" Lee pressed Trish on, taking out a pen from his pocket and grabbing the nearest napkin he found to write on.

"He turned on my dad, murdering people left and right, he killed my brother..."

"But Trish saved my life," Han immediately added with a corner smile, hesitantly looking Trish's way. "Mac almost killed me too."

"I knew it was you!" Sammy unexpectedly yelled, getting up from his chair and pulling out a pistol. "You killed my grandson! He was gonna own the whole city!"

This alarmed the other customers in the restaurant, quickly being drawn to the commotion. When they noticed the gun, some shrieking was heard and chairs were being pulled. The cashiers behind the counters told everyone to evacuate, some ran away too while others stood still and watched what would happen next.

Carter tried grabbing Sammy's weapon. "Sammy! Put the gun down!"

The old man ignored him, raising the canon against Trish's forehead. "How could you? He was so young! He had his whole life to live! You're as selfish as your father!"

She was taken aback, seeing tears of rage forming in his eyes. "I- uh, I..."

Before he could pull the trigger, Lee quickly intervened by tackling the elder, sending a couple of stray bullets flying.