Chapter 16

As expected, Trish and Tania were the first ones up in the morning getting ready to head off to the airport, the rest of the group having a rough time waking up due to their unorthodox slumber party.

The first thing Han did was inquire to their host about his 'traveling difficulties', to which she simply tossed him a fake passport, only asking for him to place his picture inside. After all, it was all normal FBI stuff to her.

However, he didn't reveal to anyone the details of his conversation with Maurice the other night, still unsure if he would actually go through with what he told him. Han understood Maurice's rightful concerns and knew that the stakes of this mission were nowhere near the same as each other, but still had hope that they would all go to Cuba together and finish this as a team.

Trish, on the other hand, desperately wanted to talk to Han about all the things that were going through her mind, especially after her enlightening talk with Tania. Breakfast time offered her the perfect opportunity, but just as she was bout to take the seat next to him, Maurice swept in and swiped her place. Since the other side was taken by a highly caffeinated Carter, Trish had no choice but to settle at the far end of the table.

"So, did everyone have a good night sleep?" Tania sat next to her with a plate full of scrambled eggs and sliced ham, winking at Trish. "I know I did."

Carter leaned towards her from across the table, kissing his teeth. "You could've had a better one with me, baby. Then again, there wouldn't have been much sleep involved..."

"Carter!" Lee hit his friend's arm. "It's seven in the morning, dammit!"

"My stamina is the highest after breakfast," Carter wiggled his eyebrows, making Lee roll his eyes.

"Wow, you really be needing some, man," Maurice scoffed before slyly nudging Han. "Ain't that right, Dim Sum?"

Han didn't take his eyes off from his plate, quickly making Maurice's humorous tone fade away as he lowered his head, quietly sipping his orange juice.

"Alright, alright," Tania settled everyone down. "Our flight leaves in six hours, so everybody eat up so we can get out as soon as possible."

"I got an informant up in Havana who'll be there to pick us up and drive us to his place," Carter added in between two bites of his breakfast bagel. "There might be some spiders all up in his joint, so y'all were warned."

This didn't make Tania too happy. "What? You didn't book us a hotel?"

"You mean thank you for making you save your filthy FBI money," Carter said dismissingly. "Besides, hotels are cliché as hell."

"We're on a mission, smartass! You always pull this shit on me, Carter!"

"Now hold on! I know your traitor ass ain't talking to me like that! You wouldn't have gotten that job if it weren't for me!"

"See?! You did it again! Everything has to be thanks to you, doesn't it? When's the last time you've thought of anything else than you and your di-"

"I'm not going with y'all to Cuba!" Maurice cut in, needing to share his decision with everyone present.

Carter knitted his eyebrows, looking around the table. "The hell's fat guy talking 'bout?"

"Mo, you're serious?" Han asked, leaving his food untouched.

Maurice gravely nodded. "I need to head back, find the other guys," he then turned towards Trish, "make sure Mr. O' Day knows you're safe."

Their eyes met, causing her to hold her breath as he said that. "He'll know when we come back," she broke away her gaze, "it's fine."

"You know how your pops is. He'll turn this whole city upside down to find you, drawing more attention to himself. But with the info we got on those Spanish dudes, we might be able to fend them off."

"You sure?" Han told him. "You've helped a lot, you know."

"Yeah," Maurice stood by his decision. "I'll be more of service if I stay here."

"We better start loading our stuff up," Tania got up and took everyone's plates, hinting at Lee and Carter to go grab their stuff and leave Hand and Trish to say their goodbyes in private.

While Lee followed the directions with no hesitations, Carter grumbled his way through them, earning a death glare from his old coworker. Knowing that Maurice and Trish knew each other the longest, Han also got up and left the table to let them talk in private. One thing he hated more than awkward conversations were difficult goodbyes.

With just the two of them alone, Trish only had one request from Maurice. "Mo? Could you tell my dad... I never meant to hurt him?"

He kindly smiled at her. "Sure thing, Trish."

.
( 搂 )
.

Han's leg bounced restlessly as he looked out the plane window. It wasn't his first time flying, he'd already had that experience when he first escaped prison, but the feeling remained the same. A strange cocktail of emotions were brewing in his stomach as he watched the clouds roll by, a mix of of focus yet deep worry.

"What are you thinking about?" Trish, who'd settled next to him, asked as she pushed a strand of her hair away from her eye.

Han followed her hand's movement, stopping at her sparkling eyes, before looking down. "Nothing much."

"Well, I've been thinking about... stuff," she said, shifting in her seat.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah... I was thinking about where I was gonna stay when we get back. I don't wanna move back in with my dad, I just need some space."

"That's good. I mean, if that's what you want..."

"So I was maybe thinking I could stay at your place while I get my things sorted out."

Han met her gaze once again, he'd never seen her this shy before. "Oh..."

"Is that a good 'oh' or a bad 'oh'?" Trish slightly frowned, not expecting this reaction from him.

"It's good, I guess..."

"What do you mean 'you guess'? You don't like the idea? 'Cause I thought it would be maybe moving too fast and-"

"No, I mean... I just don't think you'd like to have me around much. Too much trouble, you know."

"Well, you're wrong. I need you around more than ever, Han."

"Oh..." Han echoed himself, not exactly knowing how he should respond anymore. This was all so sudden for him...

"I'm sorry if I gave off the wrong impression," Trish placed her hand on his knee, sending shivers up his restless leg. "It's just, with everything going on, I didn't wanna lose anyone else. I don't wanna go through this without you."

"And what about after?"

"What do you mean? Everything will be back to normal after."

"What if something else happens, something dangerous?"

"We'll face it together, like we always do."

"What if we can't? What if we have to separate?"

"Han... What's going on?" Trish's hand slipped off his knee. "Why are you asking so many questions?"

"It's just... nothing," Han avoided her concerned gaze. "It's nothing."

"Talk to me. What's wrong? Did I say something-"

"I said it's nothing."

"Don't lie to me. Why can't you just tell me-"

"Drop it, Trish," Han harshly told her, closing his eyes so he couldn't see her reaction.

"Okay," she sunk back in her seat, trying not to show how confused and hurt she felt inside.

▄▄▄