Chapter 21

Carter was the one that swung first.

Nearly missing his face from mere inches, he directed his attack straight at Lee, who ducked just in time to send his friend flying to the other side of their cell.

Lee straightened himself up, almost too stunned to speak, but still managing to express his surprise. "Carter... Look, I know what you might think, but-"

His partner-in-crime turned to him with one swift move, resentment appearing on his face. "But nothing, man! You waited all these years to come back just to use me in some fantasy you're trying to relive? You could've just called me, you know?"

Carter launched himself towards Lee, this time locking him in a hug-like position before making the two of them plunge to the ground. He wrapped his hands around Lee's neck and began to apply pressure, but only after getting hit in the forehead by Lee's own head.

Standing on the side watching the two men wrestle on the ground, Han stayed silent. Situations like these were all too familiar to him; lies and betrayals were the foundation of his upbringing. He wasn't too phased when it came to Inspector Lee's dishonesty, but it ultimately changed his relationship with the last person that was completely on his side.

If this "case" ended up destroying what he had with Trish, then they would have to pay and surely would not be spared.

But Han's internal turmoil had no effect on the waring duo for now, as they continuously punched, kicked and elbowed each other in the face, chest and ribs.

Lee was shocked to see how strong Carter had gotten over the years, much to his own painful demise. "Argh! Carter just- Please, just listen to me-"

Carter managed to get another punch in. "Oh, so now it's "listen Carter!", "I'm sorry, Carter!" bullshit! Lying, two-faced son of a-"

Lee shifted his weight onto his friend, making them roll over to the corner of the tiny jail cell. "I didn't mean to hurt you! That wasn't my intention, I promise!"

"Kinda too late, man!" Carter struggled under Lee's grip. "I mean c'mon, you really think you could just trick me and I wouldn't find out?"

The former inspector pinned him on the floor. "I didn't want to trick you, I needed your help. You're the best person I know for things like this, investigations and all."

Sweat beads rolled down Carter's forehead. "Then why didn't you tell me that you weren't assigned? Why would you make me believe-"

"Because I was desperate," Lee confessed, lowering his voice, his frame still shaking from the adrenaline rush of their strenuous fight.

Carter shook his head. "You see, that's why we can never- wait, what?"

"Soo Yung had written to me that her father was having trouble with this last case he had before retiring and it involved the Triad," Lee explained. "I figured that they could need my knowledge, but they refused to work with me. So, I took things into my own hands."

"So this wasn't for you to get another medal or something?" Carter raised an eyebrow, breathing hard from exhaustion.

This time, Lee shook his head. "I wanted to feel valuable again. I have all these skills, but nowhere to put them in practice. I felt like wasted goods."

His friend pursed his lips. "Oh... Dammit, Lee! You could've just told me that?"

"And make myself an open target? You wish!" Lee let go of him and crumbled on his back next to Carter, looking up at the ceiling.

"Yeah," Carter let out a little chuckle, "I would dunk on you for that, not gonna lie."

Lee knitted his brows together. "No, not the butt of your jokes, I meant- eh, yeah, that too, I guess."

"So," Carter slowly sat up, "just to clear things up, you weren't just using me?"

"No!" Lee followed suit. "I don't know anyone else who's as fearless as you are, Carter."

His friend smiled, but then nudged him towards Han. "Lee, not in front of the kid, man!" He whispered.

Han put his two hands up in front of his chest, shaking them. "Oh, don't mind me."

Lee sighed. "No, you deserve an apology too, Han. You've contributed the most in this case and you've been the most helpful part of it all. In return, I promise to reunite you with Miss O' Day."

The young man started to modestly decline. "You really don't have to-"

"Just take it, man!" Carter insisted. "It's the least we can do for you!"

"Thank you," Han respectfully bowed his head.

Carter grinned, suddenly energized. "That's more like it. Now c'mon Romeo, it's time to save your Juliet."

"That was so cheesy," Lee rolled his eyes, slightly laughing.

Carter elbowed his arm. "Don't make me beat you up again!"

▄▄▄