Eleven

"Did I scare you?"

My eyes snapped to Xavier's. His voice had become softer than I had ever heard it. The playful light in his eyes had died, and he appeared genuinely concerned about the stalker situation.

His voice becoming soft and vulnerable honestly scared me more than him stalking me the past two days. Is that concerning?

I swallowed. "No." Then I smiled, trying to ease him. "Not yet, anyway."

His eyes flashed and I saw his wolf for a split second, it was so fast I would have missed it had I not been staring into his ocean blue eyes the past minute or so.

A waitress finally showed herself and took our orders, coming back with the food faster than I was expecting. Xavier and I munched on the sandwiches for a while without saying anything. Both of us gazed out the window, watching the people passing back and forth on the sidewalk in front of us.

When our easy conversation drifted back to the surface, I found out he was in the same boat as me, not really studying anything in particular. A part of me wondered if he was lying when he said this was his fourth year here. How could you be far enough in to be close to graduating, without having a declared major? My heart jumped at the thought that he had come to campus just because he found out from Everlee that I went there. That could also explain the stalker habits he was showing. But that would be very weird for him to go to college just because a girl he had met once went there.

Unless of course I was his mate.

He was an alpha. Alphas were naturally possessive, especially of their mates. His wolf would urge him to do anything to be near me as much as possible. Him attending college for me was not the worst I had heard of.

He told me he was twenty-two. And I didn't see a reason he would bend the truth for that one. That made him three or so years older than me, depending when his birthday fell. He was surprised I was nineteen, assuming I was younger because this was only my first semester.

"Do you have siblings?" We were trying to keep the conversation basic, and I think it was because he was being careful not to scare me off after I accused him of being a stalker. I just hoped he knew it had been a joke.

He grinned. "Just one. A younger sister, who happens to be in your biology class."

Staring at his face, it made sense. The tiny details they shared in some features: their hair color, their ears, their nose, even the shape of their eyebrows gave way their shared genes.

"Everlee."

He nodded, "Everlee."

Oh, the crap Ev was going to get about letting her brother come to school to stalk me. She was going to need to watch it.

"What are you scheming?"

I blinked, realizing he had been studying me while I thought of ways to get Everlee back. "Nothing."

"I don't believe you."

"Okay."

He narrowed his eyes and I laughed. "Fine," he took a sip of his water, "do you have siblings?"

I smiled, imagining May and August then. They would be at school, probably in their last subject for the day. May would be doodling in the margins of her paper while August would be staring at the clock, willing the bell to ring.

"I have two. Both younger. August is fifteen and May is nine."

He raised an eyebrow and that stupid smirk that made my heart do gymnastics made an appearance. "April. August. May. Your parents just like the calendar?"