Fifteen

"Guys? Hey guys!"

"April! Xavier! Where'd you go?"

I pulled away from my mate when the Gammas' calls echoed through the trees to us. Sighing, I looked up into his eyes, hating that our moment ended. "I guess we better go back to the pond before they think we've been abducted."

I was expecting him to chuckle, but instead he grabbed both my hands again, refusing to look away from my eyes. "April, I also wanted to discuss going to my pack."

"Oh, yeah sure, I'd love to see your territory, too!"

He cracked an amused smile. "Yes, but I meant to live there, too."

Alarmed, I pulled back and my eyes grew to saucers. I knew it was inevitable, seeing as his pack was my future and mates often lived together almost right away. It was obvious he had been wanting this for a while, but it stressed me out. I'd never met any of his pack besides my friends, besides, I just moved here!

"Xavier. . ."

He frowned, "You're nervous about it."

"Yes! It just stresses me out to live in a new Packhouse full of strangers when I just barely went through all of that two months ago here!"

"You'd have me."

I couldn't help the smile that came from that one. "Well, I know, but still. I've lived in one place my entire life and then in the span of, like, ten weeks I get turned all upside down! Okay, I came out here in hopes to meet my mate, but who could've  predicted it would be right away? I mean what in fate's name is that about? And I've never even seen your place, or met your parents or -"

He cut me off with his lips pressing against mine. "Slow down, it's okay." He whispered into my mouth.

I sighed and leaned against him, hearing another one of Andrew's shouts, this time much closer. "I just, I-"

"I know. What about this?"

I pushed back so I could look at him. His face had become concentrated, but his eyes betrayed excitement.

"I know we planned on dinner with the Williams, but what if we went back to my pack to eat? Then you could meet my folks and whoever else you want to know, and then I could show you the territory." He kissed my nose, "would that help?"

When his soft side made an appearance, breaking that hard, mysterious shell he was keen on protecting, I melted. My thoughts turned to mush knowing he reserved this part of him for me. "Yeah. I like that plan. I'm sorry, I'm just not used to so much change so fast."

He smiled, "it's okay. I understand."

The crunch of leaves underfoot made us both turn our heads. "There you are! Goddess, couldn't you hear us calling for you this whole time!"

"Yeah, we heard you." Xavier told Andrew smugly.

Everlee rolled her eyes. "What are you guys doing up here anyway?"

"We made a new plan."

🐾🐾🐾

The ride from Emerald's to Xavier's was roughly a half hour. I was fidgeting the entire way: my knee bounced, my eyes skimmed over every tree we passed, and my fingers picked at my nail beds. I shouldn't have been that nervous, it was just his parents. They raised him, and I like him, so how bad could it be?