Twenty-Eight

I was so tired, standing there for so long especially now that Kallie was in my arms. But I wanted to relish the time I was spending with my parents. I wasn't sure when Isa slipped out, but by the time I noticed, the sky was dark outside through the window.

Xavier could tell I was tired. I knew because he had shifted his body so close to mine that I was practically leaning on him for support. We were discussing recent affairs with my home pack in Vernal, and how Mom and Dad would need to be getting back soon — but they would stay as long as I needed them — when Xavier cut in to address my exhaustion.

"April-"

"I'm fine," I insisted, but he definitely knew that was a lie.

"Here," he whispered, reaching his arms out to the child I held. Kallie was nearly asleep on my shoulder, her eyelashes fluttering against my neck as she fought the drowsiness. Xavier pried her off my chest and settled her on his where she barely had to adjust before snuggling into him.

I wasn't sure why we never sat down on the couches behind us. I supposed we were too caught up in our conversation for it to matter. It was starting to matter now, though.

My mother's eyes missed nothing. "Sweetie, maybe we should let you get to bed."

I wanted to say I was fine, but everyone in the room knew I wasn't. But it felt wrong to leave the conversation in open air. "Mom," I started, "you can head back home anytime. I'm okay, I promise."

She opened her mouth to protest, but I rushed to continue. "I'm eternally grateful that you guys came out to look for me when I was missing. And that you're here now that I'm back. I'm so happy I got to see you and talk to you, and that you met Kallie. But I also have Xavier now, a wonderful mate that is here for me as I am for him. My home is here now in Virginia and yours is there in Utah." Her eyes were welling up again, but I knew she knew what I said were only facts. I reached out with my hands. "We'll visit, and you can visit whenever, too, okay? I'll make sure my kids know their grandma."

We all knew this would be inevitable once I had found my mate. I think my mom just secretly wished we would be living closer to home. But Xavier's pack was here. My parents pack was there. There was no changing that, just as there was no changing the fact that I was growing up, and this was me leaving home for good. Throwing my arms around her, I gave her a strong hug. And then I did the same to my father.

"I love you guys. I'm so tired right now that I might pass out, but say goodbye to me before you leave whenever that is. But remember I'm also leaving. My home is Xavier's pack now."

I looked over my shoulder to see the biggest grin Xavier had ever given me. Before I was taken we had been discussing my living arrangements, so I knew how badly he was hoping I'd say something like that soon.

"Of course, Honey," Mom said, stroking my cheek. Dad kissed my other cheek and they both walked out of the room. But not before Dad turned and said:

"Please don't pass out on us, that would be very bad."

I chuckled, turning to duck into Xavier's arm. It was mostly for support; more than I cared to admit to myself. My legs were beginning to shake, barely able to keep myself upright.

He leaned down and kissed my head. "C'mon." And then he guided me out of the room and up the stairs.

The thought of sleeping arrangements for Kallie hadn't crossed my mind until I stood in the middle of my bedroom. "Xavier," I started to say but then I saw he was crouching down next to the bed, lowering a sleeping Kallie to the floor. Walking closer, I saw a blown up air mattress already made with sheets and blankets and a pillow. Gratitude swelled in my heart for Emerald, knowing she had been the one to do this for us and my heart continued to swell for my mate as I watched him tuck the child into the blankets, pulling them up to her chin.