Sixteen

I could tell how excited he was to show me where he lived. We toured the Packhouse first, which seemed backwards considering daylight was still fading, but I let him drag me wherever he wanted.

He showed me the main living space, which was a giant log-cabin typical shared space with large tv, a sectional, and several matching chairs to accommodate a good amount of pack members. Then we went to the movie room, game room, conference room, and the leadership offices before going upstairs.

The house only had a handful of guest rooms, as most of the space was needed for the occupancy of the pack. But one wing of the second floor had a few empty rooms. In fact, only one was occupied over there. The second he opened the first door, I realized why.

We stepped into Xavier's room, adorned with wooden furniture cushioned in forest green, a fireplace, a bookshelf and a tv. The closet was an open concept, but had a closeable curtain hanging over it so it was still "put away" from the rest of the space. While there wasn't a balcony, floor-to-ceiling windows on one wall gave a beautiful view of the backyard forestry.

As I walked around admiring everything, I grazed my fingers across his green and white comforter. "What, tattered blankets are only suitable for the truck?"

He choked out a laugh, obviously not expecting me to say that. I was satisfied I had said something he couldn't combat.

"I'm serious, though," I met his eyes, "I really like the room."

"I'm glad."

I knew why the wing was empty. I would share this with Xavier, and the other rooms would be for our pups someday. The thought brought butterflies swirling up my throat.

Xavier stuck out his hand, "The woods?"

"Yeah." Clasping out fingers together, I let him lead us down the stairs and out the back door. And then he started running and I nearly tripped trying to keep up. "Xavier!"

He laughed, not slowing, especially when he noticed how easily I could keep up once I found my footing. Like how the royals get special abilities. Do you get something like that, too? Because of your fox? Xavier's words came back to me. Was running fast part of it too? I was no longer sure what was normal and what were "abilities".

Finally, he slowed to a stop. We were in a little clearing, the woods darkening on all sides of us as the sun fell deeper and deeper. I clung to his arm as we both fought for our breaths. Little puffs of clouds formed in front of our mouths from panting, letting me know how cold it had gotten once the sun didn't touch the trees anymore.

"Xavier," I gasped out when I could form words again, "remember the thing you said about extra abilities?"

"Oh, so now we're gonna talk about it?"

I shot him a look, "Well now we're not in a Packhouse that could be full of prying ears!" I didn't wait for his answer, I just kept speaking. "Anyway, the abilities. . . I think you might be right."

His eyebrow quirked. "Yeah?"

"Well, based on that run up the hill-"

"Mountain."

"Hill. Trust me, these aren't mountains."