Chapter 4

Julianna

I stand behind the thick black curtain at the back of the stage, waiting in anticipation. Music pounds in my ears, and I bob my head to the beat as I wait for the current performer to finish their routine. The lights from the stage spill into the back from under the curtain, and the hypnotic colors bring a smile to my face.

Yes, this was familiar...and familiar was safe.

While I wait, I stretch out my muscles, trying to loosen up my limbs before my performance. The shiny gold fabric of my ensemble stretches with me, as the sheer parts tighten against my body. Small gold chains dangling from portions of my reveling outfit, and jangle against each other with my movements, every so often pinching my tender skin.

I hear some footsteps behind me and look back to see Titus softly walking over to where I'm standing. He grins as he comes up beside me, clad in his all-black shirt and pants, his standard uniform for the bar.

I send him a soft smile until I realize where he is.

"Why the fuck aren't you mixing drinks?" I ask, looking at him skeptically.

He shrugs and waves his hand nonchalantly, "I'm on break."

I glare at him before looking through a gap in the heavy curtain. Even from the small opening, I could see just how full the bar was tonight. All the stools were full, and there was a crowd standing around the counter. Several customers were looking around with angry expressions on their faces, while others were hollering back at the kitchen for some service.

Whipping around, I hit his arm in frustration.

"Ow!" he exclaims rubbing the now tender muscle, "What was that for?"

"That doesn't look like break time!" I scold him, gesturing to the growing crowd eagerly waiting for service, "You're going to get fired."

Titus rolls his eyes, "The day I'm fired is the day this bar withers without my presence."

I continue to glare and he just chuckles, clearly amused at my irritation. He wraps his arms around me in a loose hug, in an obvious attempt to assuage my temper.

"I'm here because I was just informed that one of the rooms is out of service tonight," he says, his tone turning from playful to serious.

My brow furrows in confusion as he continues.

"I want you to go to room three and wait for me until my shift ends," he continues, "You can wait there and not be disturbed, and I'll come to get you when it's time to leave."

I open my mouth to argue but am stopped when Titus' arm tightens around me. Looking up, I see him gazing down at me with worry. Last night really spooked him, and he wasn't going to take any chances.

Sighing, I realize there wasn't any room to argue. I decide to indulge him, at least for the evening, and that being holed up in a room for a couple of hours wouldn't kill me.

"Alright, I'll wait in room three for you," I grumble out, begrudgingly agreeing with him.

Titus pulls me into a full hug, and his shoulders slump with relief.

Just then, I hear clapping and the current performer's song comes to an end. Titus hears the music change, and he releases me with a soft smile before walking off. I shake my head at his behavior knowing he's going to have to sort out the ruckus at the bar, after taking his little break.

I see the previously dancing girl make her way off stage, and it isn't long before the intro to my song begins playing.

From the loudspeaker, I hear my name being called onto the stage and with a large breath I step out from behind the curtain. The lights momentarily blind me, and my nose is immediately assaulted by the smell of alcohol and cheap cigars, but I don't let my internal disgust show on my face.