Chapter 6

Kane

I watch from just outside the club as security rushes around inside, weaving in and out of the crowd, presumably looking for me. The lights from inside the building flicker through the outside windows, the hypnotic colors light up behind the moving bodies and the silhouettes of those inside can be seen from even across the street.

My eyes lazily watch the scene without focusing on anything in particular, already bored at the spectacle that would surely be forgotten in the morning.

With a heavy sigh, I rest my head against the brick wall. I was standing in the alleyway across from the club and was leaning my body on the building behind me hidden in the shadows of the night.

From behind me, I hear the approaching footsteps of another. To anyone else, the sound might not have been heard, as their footsteps echoed years of practice in the art of stealth, but I heard and I suppress another sigh at the impending conversation.

"What the fuck happened?" Ryder asks from behind me, the question edged more with surprise than anger.

I remain silent as I continue to watch the building, not daring to take my eyes off of the front door for even a second.

"Kane, seriously, what the fuck man?" my companion questions again, sounding more exasperated at my silence. I continue to ignore his question and presence.

She's got to walk out sometime...

"Fucking Christ, enough with the silent treatment," he says frustrated, one of his hands reaching for my shoulder, "I need to know why–"

I don't let him finish.

Right before I feel his grip on me, I turn around and snatch his wrist in my hand. The slightly bulkier, albeit shorter male grunts as I twist his offending limb behind him and shove him forward into the brick wall.

I hold him there for a second and hear him grunt as the rock from the building digs into his face.

"Well someone's pissy tonight," he mumbles out.

I release him, keeping my face void of any emotion or response.

Ryder pushes himself off of the wall and gives me a shit-eating grin. His darker skin gleams with the reflection of blood from newly opened cuts due to the sudden impact on the wall. Gold eyes light up under the night sky as he runs a hand through his thick head of brunette hair.

"I don't think I've seen you this upset for a few centuries," he pauses and wipes away the blood from his face, "maybe even ever."

Through the smearing of the still wet remnants of his wound, the cuts on his face have already started to mend themselves together. With such a light surface abrasion Ryder would be fully healed in just a few minutes.

"Something happened in there," I murmur out, my voice back to its usual emotionless state.

My companion rolls his eyes, "Yeah no shit!" he yells out annoyed, "Why don't you have the newbie?"

I sigh, not quite sure what to say, or even how to begin with what had happened.

Tonight was a surprise in general.

Yesterday, Ryder and I felt a new presence. It had spooked my younger companion as he had never experienced such a sensation before, and vaguely surprised me, although the feeling wasn't as unfamiliar. Late last night, there was a pulling, or a tugging, like a string being snapped into place and was suddenly wound tight.

This sensation had happened when I had found Ryder nearly five centuries ago, the feeling had shocked me at first, but had slowly forced me to seek him out. The poor man was just a teenager then, confused by what had happened and relieved when the pressure had waned after I had found him.