High Card

ᴬˡˡ ʳⁱᵍʰᵗˢ ʳᵉˢᵉʳᵛᵉᵈ. ᴺᵒ ᵖᵃʳᵗ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰⁱˢ ᵇᵒᵒᵏ ᵐᵃʸ ᵇᵉ ʳᵉᵖʳᵒᵈᵘᶜᵉᵈ, ᵈⁱˢᵗʳⁱᵇᵘᵗᵉᵈ, ᵒʳ ᵗʳᵃⁿˢᵐⁱᵗᵗᵉᵈ ⁱⁿ ᵃⁿʸ ᶠᵒʳᵐ ᵒʳ ᵇʸ ᵃⁿʸ ᵐᵉᵃⁿˢ, ʷⁱᵗʰᵒᵘᵗ ᵗʰᵉ ᵖʳⁱᵒʳ ʷʳⁱᵗᵗᵉⁿ ᵖᵉʳᵐⁱˢˢⁱᵒⁿ ᵒᶠ ᵗʰᵉ ᵃᵘᵗʰᵒʳ.

ᴬˡˡ ᶜʰᵃʳᵃᶜᵗᵉʳˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵉᵛᵉⁿᵗˢ ⁱⁿ ᴴᵃᶻᵇⁱⁿ ᴴᵒᵗᵉˡ ᵃʳᵉ ᵉⁿᵗⁱʳᵉˡʸ ᶠⁱᶜᵗⁱᵒⁿᵃˡ ᵃⁿᵈ ⁿᵒᵗ ᵐⁱⁿᵉ. ᵀʰᵉʸ ᵇᵉˡᵒⁿᵍ ᵗᵒ ᵗʰᵉⁱʳ ʳᵉˢᵖᵉᶜᵗⁱᵛᵉ ᶜʳᵉᵃᵗᵒʳˢ ᵃⁿᵈ ᵃʳᵉ ᵘˢᵉᵈ ʰᵉʳᵉ ᶠᵒʳ ᶠᵘⁿ ᵃⁿᵈ ˢᵗᵒʳʸᵗᵉˡˡⁱⁿᵍ ᵖᵘʳᵖᵒˢᵉˢ.

ᶜᵒᵖʸʳⁱᵍʰᵗ © ᵈᵃʳᵏᶜʳʸˢᵗᵃˡ⁰⁸ ²⁰²⁴

◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤◢◤

"Fetch them, sweetheart," I jest to Niffty, my words dripping with playful mischief as I call upon her assistance. She nods eagerly, a spark of excitement igniting in her eyes as she scuttles off to fulfill my request. With a smirk playing on my lips, I shift my attention to the diminutive, perpetually grumpy bartender behind the counter, a familiar presence ever since I took up residence in what was once known as the Happy Hotel.

Redemption was never high on my agenda; having a free roof over my head in exchange for tolerating the antics of these eccentric individuals seemed like a fair trade. Most were coerced into cooperation, while others- a.k.a. the Princess of Hell- remained blissfully naive, clinging to the hope of salvation in this literal hellhole.

"This time's gonna be different, mark my words. I'll crush you at your own game," Husk declared, flicking the cards with a determined glare.

"Aw, are you finally finding your voice, Husky? Wasn't it just last week you were all talk?" I teased, leaning back with a smirk as I eyed the deck.

"Last time, I was sober. Tonight's a whole new ball game, you gambling freak," Husk shot back, his tone edged with confidence as he squared up.

I let out a snicker at his bravado. "Seriously? Coming from Mr. Deck of Cards himself? It's kinda cute watching you try to psych me out."

Angel Dust chimed in as he descended the stairs, "Aren't you two supposed to lay off the gambling after what went down last time?" he quipped, raising an eyebrow at the duo.

I chuckled, "Where's the fun in playing it safe all the time? It's not like you could stop using drugs when you're told. Same concept," I added, flashing a mischievous grin at him.

He sauntered over to the couch, gracefully taking a seat beside me and crossing his legs, "Alright. Don't say I didn't warn ya, toots."

Niffty returned with an array of alcohol bottles, her efficiency and willingness to assist without question making her an invaluable member of our motley crew. I couldn't help but admire her for it, no matter how much of a loose screw she can be sometimes.

With the stage set, we dove into our gamble. I flicked my cards with a nail one by one, a habitual gesture I believed brought me luck. Whether dealing or playing, I always summoned my luck with a flourish. As I eyed Husk, I couldn't resist a smirk.

Before he could indulge in his personal bottle of booze, my hand shot out, intercepting the drink with a playful admonition. "Ah ah ah, let's keep things sober to start, darling."

Husk merely scoffs in response, his demeanor unphased, "Who said I was sober to begin with? I'm just refueling," he quipped, his own brand of humor evident as he leaned back with a nonchalant shrug.