Extra Chapter 3

Extra Chapter 3

*****

I sat beside Karabo at the head of the table. We were in one of our big pack meetings where the cameras and screen had to be on connecting us to the rest of the pack. One of the older Deltas was currently talking as there had been an ongoing discussion of rouges sneaking onto the Letsela pack grounds to steal resources and sometimes even harming pack members that were in small groups or alone. They had managed to capture one and were contemplating killing the rouge to give the others a message that dangerous trespassers would not be taken lightly anymore, but some of the pack members thought that was too harsh and that security around their border should just be increased. The meeting had a long one and I felt fatigued but kept paying attention, taking notes and speaking up when I had to. Karabo and most of the other members did the same as we passed through different points on the agenda.

The only person that had been was our now fourteen-year-old son. He had not changed and it had only caused my concern about him to grow, especially as the rest of the leaders began to voice their opinions more and more about letting the young Beta Alex take over as Alpha instead. Even though Neo was stronger, there was more than strength that made an Alpha. I knew that, and I knew Neo's behaviour was concerning given that I had never met another Alpha as quiet and timid as my son, but I knew the potential he had... If he could just get past being so... anxious and quiet. I dreaded having to make the decision to replace him before he even became Alpha but if things did not change, it was the duty of the current Alphas to make sure the next in line was the best person to replace us.

"It's just one rouge. Kill it," one of the Galaxy Deltas said.

"Enough," I spoke up to stop a predicted fight as the past three voices that spoke had been slowly raising.

Apart from killing the rouge, there was a discussion of planting wolfsbane around the borders of the pack. I thought that was a bad idea given that we ourselves were werewolves and it would probably just end up harming our pack, some deltas thought that was worth keeping other dangerous wolves away. There were also a few other ideas ranging from magic to poisoned food to more patrolling guards that shoot on sight. The rouges had been an ongoing issue for a while and just warning or fighting them did not seem to be doing the trick as more and more of them moved in on the pack.

"Alpha?" one of the Letsela Delta's spoke after a while of silence. I glanced at Karabo.

'I don't like the idea of killing one of them, we don't want to start a fight... but clearly, our harmless warnings aren't working... They're becoming more frequent and dangerous too...' he linked to me. Right.

'It may be the best option...' I linked back as I ran my eyes over the notes I had made listing everyone's ideas before my gaze moved to the one person that had yet to contribute a single word to the meeting after his initial, quiet greeting. "What do you think, Alpha?" my voice made Neo's eyes stop staring down at the desk blankly as everyone turned to him.

"M-me?" he seemed surprised, caught off-guard that he had even been addressed as his wide brown eyes stared back at me. Alex spoke much more than he did in meetings considering that he was older, but even young deltas tried to speak up a little to make their presence and ideas known. It was good practice for later when they had to run these with their peers. Neo though, usually did not say anything.

"Yes. What do you think we should do about the rouges, Alpha?" one of the Deltas replied, his voice holding a more taunting tone. It seemed that they were just frustrated at never having any interaction come from the youngest of our pack's next generation of leaders. Neo bit his bottom lip looking back at the screen. I knew he did that just to avoid all the eyes staring at him before he blew up his cheeks glancing at his notes.