Chapter 28.

*****

"Hey, Soldier. You alright?"

"Paps." I frowned at the nickname. He rolled his eyes and we chuckled as he sat down.

"Alpha, how about you make breakfast and I'll finish that?" he motioned to the book in front of me.

I was trying to figure out how to pay the doctors that had helped take care of the wolves that had been sick, they didn't exactly have normal shifts.

"No, thanks. I'm fine." I said. "It's easy stuff."

I looked to the door as Dad walked in, shutting the door behind him before he sat down beside Paps. They suddenly seemed so serious and it caused me to slowly lay my pen down.

"What did I do?" I asked before adding, "Whatever it is, it's Tamia. I was with Danté last night and all we did was play Assassin's Creed," making them chuckle.

"You've done nothing. It's just... Well, Eli. We know the past while has been incredibly rough for you, so much has happened and you've been through a lot. We think it's best if you... address it and we just want you to know that we know someone who can help you through –"

"I don't need help." I cut my Dad off. "There's nothing wrong with me."

"Of course not. We're not saying there is –" Paps was saying.

"Really? Because you've never suggested this to me before." I said.

"Eli. We're just saying that it would help to talk to someone about all the... anger and pain and –"

"I just said that I'm fine. I don't need to speak to anyone, okay? I didn't – I'm not like you!" I hissed at my Dad.

My breath caught in my throat when I saw my Paps' eyes turn completely black as his fists clenched and my Dad quickly grabbed his mate's arm to try to calm him while he swallowed looking down. I pushed out of my hair, stumbling to my feet.

"Dad, I-I'm so – I'm so sorry –" I began in a stutter but there was a knock on the door before it was pushed open. I didn't have to look to know who it was.

"Oh – I'm sorry. I just assumed Eli wouldn't answer my knock." Karabo said as soon as he had stepped into the room.

"It's alright, Karabo." Dad smiled over at my mate as if nothing was wrong.

I stared at him trying to figure out how to apologise. How could I be so fucking insensitive? I was so stupid, such a tactless asshole. How could I...?

"Good Morning." Karabo smiled at my parents.

"Morning, Alpha." Paps grinned. "We were just finishing up. Eli has agreed to not work today." He looked at me seriously, a hit of disappointment and rage still clear in his eyes as his face was hidden from the Alpha across the room. I bit my lip bowing my head to avoid his gaze.

"Great." my mate spoke, "Have breakfast with me?" I looked up just as he looked at me, his smile more nervous compared to the naturally bright one he gave my parents.

I glanced at my dad and he smiled. I looked down feeling terrible.

'It's alright, Eli. I understand. Really. Have fun.' He linked to me.

I gave Karabo a nod and smiled seeing his nervous smile grow into a grin. I walked up to him and took hold of his hand before leading him out of my office.

We left my house and began to take a walk toward town since neither of us felt like driving there. Karabo insisted on not letting my hand go for a second, and though I did not mind holding onto him, I raised my brows when he cupped my hand between both of his again.