Chapter 30.

*****

I inhaled deeply as I pressed my face into the pillow but a scent made me stop. Why did my pillow smell like Karabo? I didn't mind... but...

Oh. This isn't my room.

I rolled over so I was staring at the guest room's roof. The house was quiet apart from my soft breathing. He must have left while I was asleep. I should have stayed up with him instead of wasting the last few moments I had with him (who knows when I would get a chance to see him again) on... well crying and sleep. I pushed myself to sit up and raised my brows as my eyes fell on his suitcase which was on the floor, exactly how I had left it. Turning to look at the dresser behind me I saw his phone and passport beside the alarm clock that told me it was just passed two in the afternoon. Why was the house so quiet? I thought Paps was just driving Dad to work. Danté would be back from school in an hour. I grabbed Karabo's passport and pulled the flight documentation stuck between the pages out. His flight was scheduled to leave two hours ago.

I frowned staring at his phone before focusing on his pull and sharp panic fill my chest at the feeling and realisation that he was quite far away. I shook my head trying to calm the immediate reaction.

Wherever he is, he can take care of himself.

What if he ran into Craig's army? He wouldn't just decide to take a stroll and skip his flight home. Could... could he have gone after them?

I got off the bed running my hands over my face before attempting to straighten my shirt by rubbing the creases out with my palms while I made my way downstairs and outside.

'Ashton.' I linked to him once we were in range as I made my way toward his house.

'What's wrong?' I chuckled at his immediately worried response.

'Nothing.' It was true, I didn't feel like Karabo was in any distress, but after everything in the past while, I wasn't going to go after him without any backup, even if I knew I could put up quite a fight on my own, 'Karabo's gone and I want to find him, it's nothing big.'

'I'll round up some Deltas.' he said.

'Get Kara to help you follow me.' Kara was a witch that was mated to one of the pack Deltas, I'd learnt the tracking spell from her.

'You're going ahead?'

I didn't respond as I got distracted when I spotted Ben a while away, speaking to someone on his phone as he paced the sidewalk in front of the recreation hall. He hadn't noticed me and seemed worried. I stopped walking so he would not notice me and couldn't help focusing my hearing on his conversation.

"No, I haven't spoken to them but I will, soon... Just... so much is happening right now." He mumbled.

"Babe, you don't have to come here. I understand, I've been around wolves long enough to know what your pack means to you. I'll –" I recognised Paige's voice instantly.

"I don't have to, I want to. You're happy there, I'll be happy anywhere as long as you're near me." I felt something between amused, heavy disgust and admiration. They were... cute. "Besides... new scenery would be nice and I like being near the ocean."

"Are you sure?" she asked sounding uncertain.

"Of course, Sweetheart." He said, the confidence in his voice undoubtedly there to reassure her.

"Okay... I miss you so much... I love you."

I smiled seeing Ben grin. He was generally a pretty happy person and still I had never seen him that level of happy. I frowned at myself wondering if I was anything like that with Karabo.