Chapter 10.

*****

"So..." I broke the awkward silence in the car as I drove. I had convinced Vanessa to let me drive her car all the way to Karabo's house, it had not taken much persuading because it was early and she did not seem to be in the mood to drive. "Why do you work at that restaurant?" I glanced towards where she sat in the passenger seat before looking back at the road.

The windshield in front of me was being flooded with water that was washed away every few seconds by the wipers. The heavy rain had started three hours ago and it didn't seem like it was going to ease up or stop any time soon. The roads were close to flooding, so I wasn't surprised that we were one of the very few cars currently on them.

I had learnt earlier when we were in the sisters' living room that Paige was a medical student who volunteered at the hospital; a typical vampire field. I was confused as to why Vanessa wasn't doing the same considering that it was an incredibly easy way to get blood. Not the most fun way to feed, vampires can compel for a reason.

"I don't drink old blood," Vanessa replied.

"It isn't old, it's... preserved." Paige had said back.

"It's old." Vanessa rolled her eyes. "Paige refuses to feed directly. She doesn't like injuries."

Ashton snorted and I saw Ben shoot him a glare, which he ignored and asked, "What type of vampire doesn't like injuries?"

"Half-blood," Paige said sounding rather confident about it.

"Half-blood?" Ben asked surprised.

"Yeah, Mom was adventurous," Vanessa said frowning to herself.

I nodded as we reached Karabo's house after driving past a park filled with pups happily messing around in the rain. It brought back memories because the rain was one thing my Dad actually didn't mind us playing around in.

After parking in front of Karabo's house, I quickly followed everyone out into the rain before heading inside. It made me question whether Karabo ever locked his front door because we didn't even have to knock to get inside.

"Vanessa! Paige! Guys!" I smiled as Karabo walked out of the kitchen and began hugging everyone.

I locked my arms around him for a few seconds longer than everyone else, happy he was not angry about us leaving the previous day before letting him go as he stepped back looking at me thoughtfully.

"Uh... You–you gave your Dad my number?" he asked somewhat awkwardly.

"What? No! Of course not," I looked at Tamia who shook her head so my gaze moved to Ben and he shrugged avoiding my eyes. "Ben," I growled.

"I was a little angry before I got over it," he admitted in a soft mumble.

"Angry? That doesn't mean you –" I cut myself off with a harsh sigh. It's done. "What did he say to you?" I looked back at my mate.

"Nothing bad, he's really nice." Karabo chuckled.

"I know," I replied.

"You must not take after him," he added with a slight smirk.

"I do not." It was true. Karabo laughed and I chuckled. "Seriously, what did he say to you?" I asked before groaning quickly at the realisation that both my parents were going to be very upset about my not telling them I found my mate to begin with. "Does he know you're an Alpha?"

"I don't think so. If he does, he didn't mention it. Are you guys hungry?"

"Yes. Are you cooking?" Ashton replied.

"Trying. I'm not promising anything about how good it is, I don't usually cook. My mom says it's best if I..." he drifted as my brows rose at him, "Never mind, it shouldn't be too bad." I laughed and my sister shot me a glare from behind my flustered mate making my laugh hitch.