Chapter 9.

*****

I rolled over in bed and let out an annoyed sigh finally giving up as I stared at the roof. I just could not sleep. I threw my blanket aside and got up before I pulled on my jacket and walked out of the hotel room I was sharing with Ben... Well, would be sharing with Ben if he was here.

My sleeping habits had just completely declined since I got here, hadn't they? When I wasn't having nightmares I couldn't fall asleep at all.

I walked down the hall and pushed the elevator button as I glanced at the clock under it. It was just past 3 AM. I had texted Ben earlier to tell him where we were and which rooms we were in, he had not responded after he read it. I wonder how the ceremony went... Maybe I should have gone to it? No. It was not anything big, it's not like it was Karabo's ceremony.

I stepped into the elevator greeting the doorman before I leaned against the wall as it moved lower through the building until it reached the ground floor and I walked out and into the lobby.

I made my way out of the hotel and took a deep breath as the cool early morning wind blew against my face. I ran my eyes over the stores across the hotel. Snacks or Ben... Ben?

Ben.

I sighed dialling Ben's number as I walked down the sidewalk. I listened to the ringing until he answered just when I was about to give up.

"Ben," I said.

"What the hell, Eli. It's 3 AM in the morning." He groaned into my ear.

"Where the hell are you?" I asked.

"Ha. You have the audacity to call and ask where I am after you compelled me – you fucking compelled me, Eli – to take a walk with a bloodthirsty vamp."

"She's not bloodthirsty..." I think. Whatever, "It's not like you're not bloodthirsty sometimes. Besides, I thought you could handle yourself around a simple vampire." I paused, "Was I wrong, Ben?"

"Do not do that." He muttered.

"Do what?" I asked innocently as I spotted a few people standing in the dark near a closed shop.

"You know what." He hissed, "You're trying to distract me. It won't work this time." I heard him sigh. "I can't believe you would compel me." He said. I stopped walking. Wait. Did he sound hurt? Why?

"I did it so you would get over your Vampire... thing." I looked up as I heard footsteps and noticed the gang of guys that had been in the dark were now walking towards me.

"You could not just talk to me about it? You're only supposed to compel other wolves when you absolutely need to, not when you're mad at yourself for not at least trying to understand your Mate's culture." He said.

"What are you talking about?" I narrowed my eyes.

"You compelled me." He ignored my question.

"It's not that big of a deal, Ben." I heard him let out a breath in disbelief.

"Right." My jaw dropped when I heard a beep. Did he just hang up on me? No. Hell no. I began to dial his number again but I stopped when I noticed the gang of people in the dark had stopped in front of me. I rolled my eyes hanging up on Ben.

"Can I help you?" I asked slipping my phone into my pocket.

"Yes. That's a nice watch." One guy said.

"Yeah, I know." I agreed as I looked at my watch before I sighed.

"Give it to me." I looked up hearing him speak again.