Chapter Twenty Six : What's A Person To Do

Y/n's POV:

"Ah- spirits," I hissed as I felt the hot liquid make contact with my tongue. I quickly swallowed it, hoping that somehow fanning the inside of my mouth would get rid of the burning sensation.

I sighed as I placed down my cup of boiling hot chocolate, taking a few quick gulps of cold water to settle it. I tabbed the book that I was previously reading, sitting up upright in my chair to grab my nearest textbook. I flipped through the pages, immersing myself in its contents until the sudden chime of the grandfather clock in the corner jolted me out of it. I took eye of the time and immediately shot up.

I was late. Again.

I groaned at my own stupidity, rushing to stuff everything for the day I needed in my backpack. Hastily slipping my shoes on, I called out goodbye to my family and closed the door behind me. I then grabbed my keys and locked it after.

Lynn was going to be so irritated.

Immediately apologizing after I accidentally bumped into an older gentleman, I continued to race down the street, not even stopping to pat the neighborhood cat. I ignored the old man's grumbles about the 'new generation of teen-agers' and how 'disrespectful' they where, knowing people like him where never going to hear anyone out.

All I could seem to think about, was simply how fast time had gone these past few months.

It felt as if only yesterday I was sipping my first Butterbeer with Lynn, sharing the other half on my sandwich with Lee and chasing after the Twins after they had pulled their first - and last - prank on me.

I was glad to still have a few years left of my school career, having absolutely no clue of what the future would be holding for me. I had always assumed I would get some sort of Quidditch career, maybe even something in nursing like Madame Pomfrey, but there where still so may pages left unturned.

After all, where would all my friends be?

Lynn had been talking about working for the ministry since the beginning of time, so what if our different paths in life left us separated? One could tell Lee's one true passion would be Quidditch commentating, and there was no doubt in my mind he would achieve it. But what if he had to travel the world to pursue it? Owl's could only fly so far. And what about the Twins? With their plans to open up that joke shop they always talked about, what would occur if it all became the success it was ment to be?

And yet, I was left guessing.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry, Lynn-" I began, heaving through my words and I rested my hands against my thighs in an attempt to regain my breath, "I swear I'll pay you a year's worth of butterbeers-"

I heard a laugh. "Relax, Y/n, relax. I forgive you. Just please breathe."

I sat down the chair infront of them, placing my backpack infront of my feet and under the table, "thank you," I exhaled.

"Okay, you ready?"

I nodded.

"Three, two, one... go!"

We simultaneously pulled out a single boxed gift, pushing it to the other at each end of the table. I giddily opened mine, almost squealing as I noticed what was inside. My gift was beautiful taped together with a thin, yellow tissue paper, gently placed inside a small brown box. I not-so-carefully ripped it open, revealing the treasures inside.

First came a gift card for a local Muggle bookshop 'Waterstones', then a beautiful pair of earrings I'd had my eyes on for weeks, as well as a few quills with an assortment of different ink colours. Finally came a notebook hidden behind the most amazing gift of all - the first edition of my all time favourite book.

"Lynn, you didn't have to get me so much-" I began to protest.

"Oh boliks," they shook their head, "you deserve them. Besides, maybe the pens and notebooks will get you to stop copying from my work."

I shook my head, laughing. They where joking. I had hoped. "Not possible. It won't work on the Twins and it won't work on me."

Lynn deflated, but soon sat up as they remembered my gift. They had forgotten in all the excitement of me opening theirs. My box was unfortunately, alot less neatly put together than Lynn's, but they didn't seemed to care. After gently unknotting the bow and opening up the box, their first reaction was to throw their arms around me.

I could help but chuckle as I hugged them back, ignoring the sideways glanced we got from a few other people in the coffee shop. "Oh, how did you know?!" They exclaimed, pulling out the pile of books and gift cards.

Grinning, I explained how I may or may not have taken a glance at their secret Christmas wish list and brought them as much as I could from it, making sure to throw in the receipts in case we needed an exchange. Thankfully though, we didn't need to.

"Ugh, you're the best."

"I know," I smirked, flicking some hair over my shoulder. Lynn shook their head at this, but still couldn't resist a small smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Almost an hour passed by, and Lynn and I where still in the exact same spot. We had another half an hour before we technically needed to get back home, and so we planned on taking up every minute.

"What did the boys get you?" Lynn prompted, voice still wheezy from a previous laughing session.

I shrugged, "not much. Lee got me some books I wanted and some amazing Muggle sweets. I think they where called jellybeans? Anyway, the Twins got me some personalised bookmarks and a few of their prototypes to try on Felix. But I don't plan on putting my life in my parent's hands thank you very much."

Lynn exhaled a chuckle, shaking their head, "George got me the same. But I don't plan on being buried alive for pranking Evie either."

Evie was Lynn's twin sister, and what most boys would consider the 'desirable' type. She had strangely neat curly hair and a cute button nose, perfectly plump lips and even more perfect eyes. She was also only a few minutes older than Lynn and bragged about it almost constantly. One could tell Lynn was a little envious of their sibling, but was glad they didn't follow through with that life.

I never cared for Evie, she had always seemed a bit stuck up to me and constantly felt a need to put Lynn down, eventhough I had only spoken to her a handful of times. And although I could see what the appeal with her was, I always found Lynn more interesting. They didn't feel the need to live their parent's ideal lives and retain their love. They where okay with being the black sheep of the family, even if it ment their parent's obvious disapproval.

We never spent more than a few hours at their house.

"And what about Fred?" I asked, a small smirk forming on my lips at their widened eyes.

"Not much," they mumbled, rubbing their cheek nervously.

"Come onnn," I teased, nudging them gently in the arm, "tell me."

"Fine," they sighed, "he got me chocolates and some flowers."

"Hmm," I hummed, "which ones?"

"Lilies..."

"Good boy." After all, Lilies where Lynn's favourite.

"It doesn't mean anything," they began to protest.

I shrugged. "Okay."

"He was probably just being considerate."

"I'm sure he is."

"With exams and everything finally over, he probably ment it as a 'good job' kinda thing."

"Definitely."

Lynn finally sighed. "You don't believe me... do you?"

I shook my head, still grinning from ear to ear and I lent back in my chair. "Nope."

And it was only a matter of time until they figured it out to.