21

[Annika - A, Shivaay - S, Gauri - G]

Annika sat in the parking lot, crying. Shivaay came and sat beside her

A: If we hadn't had that conversation that night, things would have been very different right now. She would have said yes to his proposal like it was supposed to be. I think she knew he was going to propose that's why she kept on asking me about marriage. But she doesn't understand. I don't have a choice, I'm not going to abandon my brother just so I could have a husband. Who would want a wife who brings in her little brother with her? How could she think I would approve of her decision? How could I be happy when my sister is miserable? I want the world for my siblings Shivaay and right now I'm failing to keep them happy, failing to give them a decent life. That idiot gave up on the love of her life for me. She should never have had to make that choice in the first place, between me and Om. He puts wind beneath her wings, she has grown because of him. And because of me, she hurt him so much.

Her voice broke but she continued

A: She thinks her marrying first would make people gossip. Huhh (she scoffed). People always talk, regardless of what you do, you know 'kuch to log kahenge logo ka kaam hai kehna'. They have been talking ever since our parents died.

"Oh what will these kids do, they're going to turn out rotten without parents"

"Look at these girls, so young, who is gonna stop them from having affairs all around town when there's no one to hold them accountable"

"Par nikal aaye hai in ladkiyo ke, der raat tak bahar rehti hain" {{these girls have got wings, they stay out all night}}

"Maa baap ko kha gayi ab pata nahi or kya kya gul khilayngi" {{god knows what else these girls will do, they've already killed their parents}}

And god knows what else they talk about. I have shielded them from all these taunts and jabs. And I would never let this affect their decisions, or their happiness at any cost.

Shivaay offered her his handkerchief. She wiped her tears.

S(in his mind): Her pain left me oddly helpless, wishing there was something I could do to make her feel better. I've never felt like this before

S: You know, this is the first time you've actually addressed me by my name.

This weird change of topic made her giggle. Annika couldn't remember when she had spoken his name.

A: Could you forgive her for this?

S: Yes

A: And Om?

S: I'm pretty sure they've made up by now. Om is the mature one among us siblings, I'm certain he has forgiven her.

A: I hit my sister for the first time today. You know we never fought physically even as kids. I crossed a line today. I don't know how I can ever apologize for that

S: It was quite a slap. I'm glad our arguments never got to the point where you would need to hit me

A: Ha! I'm not stupid. You would have filed a case against me for hitting you

S: Probably

They laughed together over this absurd idea and Shivaay congratulated himself internally for cheering her up successfully.