41

[Annika - A, Shivaay - S]

Annika and Shivaay didn't get a chance to talk at breakfast and Annika was anyway too pissed at him to talk. Both of them left for their work.

Around noon, Shivaay called Annika after texting her that he needs to speak to her, it was something urgent.

S: There's a dinner at the minister's house today and he has invited us. Please be there at 7 pm, it's very important. He insisted that he wanted to meet my wife.

A: Okay

****

Shivaay reached the minister's residence and they exchanged pleasantries.

Minister's wife: So Shivaay, where's your wife?

S: she's on her way, must be stuck in traffic

Minister: yeah, traffic is brutal at this time

They talked while having drinks. Shivaay texted her "where are you? It's 7:30 now"

She didn't respond. He texted her again a few minutes later "Are you coming or not?".

When everyone was called for dinner, Shivaay excused himself and called Annika but her phone was off. Shivaay's fuse was out now. It was almost 8 pm, minister and his wife had asked repeatedly about her and she was god knows where. Shivaay was embarrassed.

They sat down for dinner. It was a three-course meal and by 8:30 they were done with it when finally Annika came

A: Hello sir, hello ma'am. I'm extremely sorry for being late. I got stuck on the flyover

Minister's wife: well you missed out on the dinner sweetheart

A: serves me right (she laughed a little to smoothen things up with the minister's wife). You have a lovely house by the way

Minister: thank you, all credit goes to the missus. She loves to decorate

They made small talk while having dinner. Shivaay spoke pleasantly with the other guests and the minister but he didn't even look at Annika. She could feel his hostility and waves of disapproval rolling off of him.

After having dessert, Shivaay shook hands with the minister and some other guests and bid them adieu and Annika followed suit.

Outside the minister's house, Shivaay sat in his car and Annika sat in the car she came in. The two cars drove home one after the other and the two of them stormed off to their room.

Shivaay closed the door after she entered and turned towards her. He was furious

S: One thing, I asked you for one thing Annika, to be on time for this dinner and you came in 90 minutes late! (he lashed out at her) You did not reply to my texts! You did not call to inform me. Do you have any idea how humiliating it was for me? Everyone asked me repeatedly how much longer my WIFE was gonna take and I had to make excuses there like a goddamn fool because I had no idea, zero clue regarding your whereabouts.

A: I got late because of the traffic on the flyover Shivaay

S: What traffic Annika? Everyone arrived on time. How is it that the moment you left, every car in the city lined up on that same flyover, huh? Mr. Kumar and his wife, they live 3 km away from us, they had to take the same route and they were there on time. Then how is it that you got so late? And okay even if there was traffic, couldn't you inform me? Where is your phone?