Chapter 35 - Honestly, I Don't Know What to Call This

Chapter 35 – Honestly, I Don’t Know What to Call This

 I know the memories rushing into mind. 

I want to kiss your scars tonight. 

I'm laying here, 

'Cause you've gotta try,

You've gotta let me in, let me in                                      --The Fray

Nathan uneasily shifted on his seat just as he realized how silent the whole arena had become. “What on earth do you think you’re doing?” he hissed, covering the mic with his hand.

I didn’t look at him but smiled. “What I should’ve done long time ago.” Then, I lifted my gaze to the audience. There was a roll of murmurs from the front row, spreading across the whole place. It seemed that they’d figured it out for themselves.

Some girl from the crowd screamed, “Oh, my god! There are two Leons!!!”

With a deep breath, I said, “Well, I’d deny it but he looks just like me. What can I do?” I laughed a bit, nodding to myself. “This is my brother Nate”—I watched Nathan glare at me at the short version of his name and it was sweet!—“and this song is composed by him. It’s called, Summer Love. I hope you all be nice and try to like it.”

Laughter.

I closed my eyes as Ricky stroke the keys of the piano. And Reed, as he reluctant as he’d been to ditch his electric guitar for an acoustic one, joined Ricky in the intro. I was so caught up with the melody that the screams and rumble of voices bouncing off the walls of The O2 didn’t bother me at all.

They could think anything they want. I was over pretending like Nate didn’t exist. After all, there wasn’t any reason why he should still hide. Not like Camilla could stop me. I just did what she’d failed to do. Nate deserved to be known for his own person. Not just my double.

“You remember the words?” I leaned a little to the left and looked at Nate from the corner of my eye, letting out a snort.

Raising an eyebrow, Nathan picked up the mic from the stand and grunted, “Is that a rhetorical question? Of course, I remember. I composed this song.” He sounded proud though he was trying to look like he’d want to be anywhere but there.

With a shrug, I turned to the mic. “Big deal. Try making a whole album and then you can brag.”

“Poser,” he chided.

“Amateur,” I came back and we both smirked at each other after that.

When my cue came, I drew a deep breath and sung my part. I tried my best not to dwell on the meaning of the words. But no matter what I did, it was as if some sort of sad notes leaked with my voice.

He got back out of the car to wait in front of her door

To say he won’t go that far, that he’d wait for her call

His hands trembled with his heart; he looked up asking God,

‘Please make her want me to stay ‘cause she is all I have,’

While I let the music take control of me, my eyes scanned the crowd. All I could see were unmoving shadows. Nameless faces looked at me through the glaring light that burned in my vision. Just then, I saw Sarah’s face flash behind my lids. She was smiling, saying, “Even if you don’t see me there, I’ll see you.”

Then I thought she was wrong. Because I’d always see her even if she wasn’t there. Even if it was just in my memories, she’d be here by my side.