Chapter 26 - How to Catch Bad Luck

Chapter 26 – How to Catch Bad Luck

 Sometimes to win, you've got to sin, 

Don't mean I'm not a believer.

... and major Tom, will sing along.

Yeah, they still say I'm a dreamer.

“I’d be lying if I said yes.” I’d managed to stay put and not tackle Megan to the ground. She’s a girl after all. “Now what do you want?”

She just smiled casually. Innocently. Like she had nothing to do with all those hate mails and prank calls. Besides that, Megan had changed a bit. She was pretty thinner than I remembered. Her eyes were hollow. Just one look and I knew she’s losing it.

“You know the answer to that,” she replied, making a sad face. “I’ve been here for you all along, Leon. I’ve always been here! Carrying your things, sorting out your clothes, cleaning up your mess. I’ve done everything! Everything… hoping you’ll notice me someday—the one who’s always been there for you,” she ranted, in the brink of tears.

I looked around. Surely by now, Moira had already called security. Looked like no help was coming. Whatever Nate was planning better work.

“But no!!!” Megan went on. “You pick some slut over me!”

I dunno what happened. What she said triggered the obliterate-button inside my brain. Next thing I knew, I’d already snagged her arms. She was fighting back. I didn’t mind. At that moment, I could think of a hundred ways to torture her.

“You want the truth?” I growled through my teeth, keeping my voice low. “All of those things you said? They’re all in your head. So stop this. You’re sick. But Moira’s going to get the best help for you. You’re gonna get better.”

Her eyes widened. Somehow fearful. Practically telling her that she’s crazy might not be one of my best ideas. So I sighed and let her go. Then she started crying. And that made me feel guilty and sorry for her. I cursed at myself and approached her, thinking maybe I could somehow make her stop crying. But before I could get close enough, she reached into her jacket pocket for an army knife. She pointed it to me, backing away.

“No,” she sobbed, shaking her head. “I won’t get better. This thing… It-it won’t go away.”

“Megan,” I carefully took one step to her. “Put the knife down.”

Taking a deep breath, she pointed the tip of the knife on her throat. “Don’t! Or I’ll do it!” she warned. “No matter what I do, it ends up like this. What’s wrong with me? Maybe it’s better if I didn’t exist.”

She sounded like she totally meant it. The wild look in her eyes told me the same. I stood frozen. I hated her. Like a lot. But it wasn’t like I asked her to die. No. Anything but that.

“We can talk about this,” I offered in my most convincing tone, cautiously inching my way towards her. “Just put—“

Quickly, I made for the knife in her hand. When I saw it on the floor, I kicked it away. The knife slid into the gap at the bottom of the locked door of the storage room. I caught Megan as she tried to get it back. She struggled at first but after a while, the thrashing stopped though she kept crying silently.

“It’s okay, Megan,” I whispered. “I’m not going to hurt you.”

Megan didn’t say a thing. But she nodded. That was when the security started to arrive. There were four of them—tall huge beefy dudes in black shirts. As if they weren’t intimidating enough by themselves, they carried one long gun each. Show offs. Who did they think they were going to arrest? Chuck Norris?