03 | it's happening again

As the vibrant hues of autumn gave way to the icy grip of winter, time marched on relentlessly

As the vibrant hues of autumn gave way to the icy grip of winter, time marched on relentlessly. Each sunrise marked another day closer to spring, yet for him, it felt like an eternity. A year slipped by unnoticed, but the ache in his chest refused to fade. It lingered like a shadow, a constant companion in his solitude. Amidst the bustling city streets, he stood alone, carrying his burden like a precious secret that no one else could comprehend or alleviate.

How will you measure the level of your pain? How will you define it? Actually, there is no such dictionary which can define the pain within your heart

Ayaan really didn't know what caused him more pain. Was it seeing the person he loved the most being in pain? Or was it the fact that he was unable to help her? Sarah was his wife and he loved her but he didn't know her. Only one thing he knew for sure that she needed him.

When he entered the bedroom that evening she was fast asleep. He went near her side of the bed and sat on the floor next to her head. Her face looked so calm that it resembled a baby. She looked as pretty as always and for that one moment, she looked happy and content. He wanted her to remain like that forever.

Caressing her cheeks with his knuckles lightly he imagined her being happy when she woke up. He leaned closer and kissed her forehead lightly. To his pleasure a sweet little sound escaped her throat and she rubbed her nose with her fist. He gulped down trying hard to resist kissing more than just her forehead. When did he become such a creep? Maybe, it was the fact that he could never show such affection to her when she was awake.

She never slept soundly. At night when the entire world slept, she tossed and turned in her bed. Many nights he had seen her crying and having nightmares. She never wanted to let him know, though. It was just that even he couldn't sleep while she was awake. She cried the first night of their marriage. The night he gave her the news of his promotion. The night they shifted into a bigger house in his hometown. The night her sister got married and the night he said he loves her. Even in the most intimate moments they shared he knew she wasn't completely with him either.

His mobile started ringing, pulling him out of his musing. He didn't want to wake her up, so he just picked it up and left the room. His best friend, Fred Lawrence, had the worst timing as usual.