The First Day

[Open on a dark backstage. Luz activates a light glyph and holds it between her, Lena, and Eda.]

Luz: I-I'm not ready for this Eda. Maybe we should go back.

Eda: Nah, kid, you got this. Just do what we practiced!

Luz: But what if... What if I mess something up? Or what if I do something wrong? [Gasps.] What if I die?

Lena: Luz. Calm down, calm down. 

Eda: I had to do the same thing when I was a witchling. It's like a rite of passage. Granted, I was a little more skilled.

Luz & Lena: Eda!

Eda: Right, right. Sorry, sorry. Now, get pumped.

Luz: Pumped!

Lena: Luz. Stay safe and good luck.

Luz: I will.

Eda: Get ready.

Luz: [Pulls hood up.] Ready!

Eda: Now, go! [Shoves her.]

[Cut to the stage, a spotlight aimed at the closed curtains and a banner reading "Hexside School: Entrance Exams." The curtains open. Luz jumps on stage in a dark cloak.]

Luz: [Movie trailer narrator voice.] From the humblest of beginnings, a hero will rise. [Normal voice.] My sister and I have traveled from another realm and trained with a powerful witch to master dark and forbidden magic. I am... [Takes cloak off with a twirl.] Luz Noceda!

Lena: [Facepalms.] Oh dear.

[Reveal the audience, which is empty except for Principal Bump sitting in the front row with a clipboard.]

Luz: [Chuckles awkwardly, tosses confetti out of a fanny pack.] Confetti!

Principal Bump: Right. The humans that want to be witches. Against my better judgement, I've allowed you to take this exam into Hexside. [Looks at Lena.] Why do you want to be a witch?

Lena: I want to be the type of witch who helps out those in need, protect the ones I love, use my powers for good, and be a happy witch.

Principal Bump: Good answer Lena. [Looks at Luz.] But can you even do magic with all your... human parts?

Luz: I sure can. [Zips open fanny pack.] It's said that humans can't do magic, but my sister can [Pulls out papers and shows them to both sides of the auditorium.] and I discovered a lost technique that changes everything.

Principal Bump: Hmm?

[Eda gives two thumbs-up from backstage. Luz activates the light glyph and lets the ball rise. She moves the under the light and activates it. Luz beams and does jazz hands while Lena sighs.]

Lena: This is going to be a long day.

Principal Bump: Spells cast with paper? I've never heard of such a thing. [To himself.] But is it enough to pass the exam?

Luz: Uhh...

Eda: Improvise.

Luz: Um, I can do other things, what about... this? [Stands, flips eyelids inside out.] Bleep, bloop, bleep!

[Principal Bump is not impressed.]

Luz: Ow, ow! Eyelash! Eyelash!

Lena: [Gasps] Luz! Look out!