𝐩𝐫𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐮𝐞 : sophie goes m.i.a

It was Keefe's idea that they go to Spitting Caves.

Sophie had told them all about cliff jumping, and Keefe had instantly wanted to go. He'd spent three months begging the Black Swan to let him go, and after three months of nonstop rejection, Dex had made him one of those devices - compooners or something - and he'd found the coordinates. Then he'd carefully gotten a leaping crystal, and they'd made it a reality.

On June 27th, they'd gathered during the night and leaped to Spitting Caves.

Supposedly the perfect night. Until Sophie went missing.

-----

"Hey, Foster, come on! Jump!" Keefe yelled at Sophie as he hurled off the cliff.

Biana, Fitz, and Linh were swimming in the water with thrilled expressions.

"It's okay, Sophie! It's fun!" Linh called up the cliff, where Sophie stood in a red bikini, looking terrified of the edge.

Keefe levitated back up the cliff, where he grabbed Sophie's hand. 

"Come on, Foster. You can do this." Keefe said earnestly.

Sophie blushed, which was honestly the cutest thing in the world. "I'm scared, Keefe." Sophie mumbled. "What if I get hurt?"

"You won't!" Keefe assured her. "And even if you get hurt, Elwin has healed so much worse injuries. It's the Foster Center, right?"

Sophie cracked a small smile. "Okay. Fine."

Keefe stirred her to the cliff, but seconds before her feet slipped off the edge, she screamed and jumped back. 

"Keefe, I don't want to do this!" Sophie shrieked. "Something's going to happen!"

"Sophie -"

"I. DO. NOT. WANT. TO." Sophie screamed, sounding so unlike the person Keefe.

"Don't be a chicken!" Biana hollered.

"It's FINE!" Fitz called.

"Just do it! It's fun!" Dex yelled.

The peer pressure seemed to do it, because Sophie took a deep breath and slowly walked forward. But seconds she leaped off the cliff, she scrambled back and shrieked, "NO!" 

But Keefe shoved Sophie and she tumbled off the side. For the first couple seconds, it was a furious scream that sounded a lot like his name, and then it became gleeful laughter. The sound was so beautiful that Keefe wished he could bottle the sound and listen to it over and over. But as the dark water neared, the laughter became a terrified shriek.

Then her body plunged underwater with a splash and a storm of bubbles. 

"Wasn't that awesome?" Linh laughed, but Sophie's body never came up.

That became 15 seconds, and then it was 30, and then it was a minute. They all started frantically swimming through the waters, but as the minute became 10 minutes, one thing became clear: Sophie Foster was gone.