𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏: my memories

Biana seemed to realize what had happened right around the same time Keefe did, because her face rapidly drained of blood and she went still. 

"What a fantastic ending to our plot!" Moexii cried, strolling along and kicking what had been her sister lightly. "The heroes have accidentally killed an innocent bystander. Meanwhile, the nefarious villain is still at large!" Moexii did a fake scream and smirked at them. "Will the heroes come up with a plan to stop her?"

Moexii grinned even wider. "That's what happens in most stories. But this one... well this one is very different. In this one, the heroes aren't going to succeed." She trailed off, smirking in the terrified silence that filled the air. "

I practiced that so many times. How did it sound?" She suddenly said earnestly, transitioning into the hilarious, kind-hearted girl Keefe thought she was. "Anyway, back to what happened. Operation Genetic Mutation was implemented shortly after the elves had tried to harness the power source to make them supreme over all of the other races. And your precious Council knew this. They authorized it, in fact! But, sadly, the power source exploded, blasting the lab to itsy-bitsy pieces and beginning the magical flame called Everblaze!"

Keefe flinched at two things: the word, which brought back terrifying memories, and Sophie's lack of a reaction, as if she'd only heard Moexii discuss her plans for lunch.

"It killed all of the scientists and the Council covered it up!" She crowed gleefully. "Meanwhile, poor little me, living all alone with my slaves in the Neutral Territories, found a piece of the crystal."

She pulled a silver chain out from under her clothes. Glowing on the bottom was a crystal, flickering with light from all colors. Instantly, Keefe could tell it was powerful. Waves of defiance and energy pulsed from it, simultaneously making him want to fall asleep and start fighting. 

"This is the fragment I found. Barely bigger than my fingernail - except so. Freaking. Powerful. Now I'll explain the last bit. I've been experimenting on this. It takes away your powers, your skills, and transmits them all to the wearer. Memories, thoughts, energy, powers... all become mine. Pair that with mind-control and... boom! Super-charged servants."

Operation Genetic Mutation... "the most powerful elves in, what, a quadrillion years?"... all gathered in one place...

Keefe turned pale as he realized what was happening.

"See?" Moexii cried suddenly, pointing at Keefe. "He realizes what's happening! He knows!"

"Wait, what?" Biana asked.

"Ask him, not me!" Moexii said, gesturing to Keefe.

"She's taking our powers and using them for her and her servants... she'll take over the world and kill everyone..." Keefe mumbled weakly, his head spinning.

"Mostly true, Keefie dear." Moexii said. "I still need pets, don't I? You guys are sooooo pretty. You'll make great additions to my collection! I can't kill you. But most importantly, I need your energy. Your spirit. Your spirit is what powers your looks, your personality, your energy, everything about you. They're the most important thing you own... and they were unattainable. Were. But this stone has magical powers beyond your wildest dreams. And with your spirit, I could revive somebody who died!"

She killed my best friend... the only person I'd ever loved... who is Moexii bringing back?

"ANYWAY! Let's take a walk down memory lane and get some spirits at the same time!" Then she grabbed the crystal as it released a wave of rainbow light. Then Keefe's sight went black.