𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟔: epilogue

notice: ok so maybe I'm not completely evil after all !! shoutout to ( 𝗜𝗹𝗼𝘃𝗲𝗿𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗶𝗻𝗴𝗺𝗽 ) bc they requested an epilogue. and a bunch of other ppl as well , so yk , peer pressure. enjoy !

—-

Silence was everywhere.

It was the type of silence that seemed thick, like a real thing you could touch. Sophie stumbled along next to Keefe, silent and exhausted, skinnier than he'd ever seen her, bruises covering her body, but every now and then she would look up and smile at him and his heart would light up.

But he could barely muster a grin back.

All he could think about was Moexii, who was supposed to be his friend. Maybe even more than that. But Moexii was evil. She had used him. Moexii, who he'd liked as more than a friend, which he finally admitted to himself. 

Jesus, Keefe, she's evil and you're still thinking of her? He scolded himself.

Sophie grabbed his hand.

Sparks lit up in his skin.

She looked at him, tear stains everywhere on her face. Finally, she leaned over and whispered, "How are you? You look tired."

"I'm better than you, that's for sure." He replied with a smirk. "You look really tired, Foster."

"You smell, Sencen." She replied sharply, but still smiling.

"You kept your tongue, at least." Keefe said brightly. "We were about to die and Tam was still being sarcastic."

"Well old habits die hard." Tam yelled from the other end of the hallway.

Sophie snickered. Keefe smiled at the joy returning to her face. She looked like... well, Foster. She looked like herself again.

Moexii looked like that before she revealed herself. He thought before he could stop the thought. 

"Shut up." He muttered under his breath.

Sophie looked at him, confused and a little hurt.

He forced a smile. "Talking to myself. Sorry."

She nodded, biting her lip and looking away. Tears welled in her eyes.

Keefe sighed and looked away. Why did he ruin things? Why did everything he love get destroyed? Why did he have to screw up everything he cared about?

He was in the middle of a very loud shouting match inside his head when he heard the bell.

It was loud, echoing through the halls and his head. Then he noticed the symbols on their shoulders, the crescents. They were glowing again.

"Oh no..." Sophie mumbled, catching sight of the glowing symbols. 

"But - what?!" Biana said, also noticing.

"Moexii' s dead!" Fitz protested. "We saw her, we killed her, we..." He trailed off, noticing Tam's expression.

"Who says Moexii was the leader?" He said quietly, glaring at Linh's glowing shoulder blade.

"They did it with Lunar." Keefe mumbled. "They could do it with Moexii."

And then he barely had time to inhale before he was plunged into darkness.

Then all of a sudden, he could see again. Then his body twitched. And he moved forward, but he was sure he hadn't wanted to. He tried to stand still, tried to wiggle his fingers. Nothing happened. It was as though he was simply watching his body move as he took a step. No, no... his body took a step, although he certainly wasn't trying to move.

The rest of them seemed to be experiencing the same phenomena because they all walked like him: stiff, smooth steps that seemed to echo through the hallway.

"Keefe..." Sophie whispered.

She seemed to be the only one who wasn't moving against her will. She ran up to him, grabbing his hand, brushing his cheek.

Normally, the moves would've made electric sparkles go through his veins, but now it was just numb. Cold. Then he felt one of his arms tensed.

No, no, no, no, no... he thought frantically.

Some part of the panic must've shown up on his face, because Sophie backed up. But it was too late. One of his fists slammed out, catching Sophie's cheek. She yelped and fell to the ground, as his legs tried in vein to kick her. She screamed again as he made contact, over and over until she was bleeding and her screams had been reduced to weak moans. Keefe screamed internally over and over every time he touched her.

Sophie was slumped over on the floor. His body began moving towards her. The rest of them watched as Keefe strolled over to her and picked her up by her neck, easy as breathing. Then he started squeezing.

Sophie choked, writhing around, gasping, and Keefe screamed.

Panic coursed through his veins. It wasn't panic, no, it was fear. He was terrified as waves of bile swarmed through his gut, but nothing happened. A word was bursting on the tip of his lips. But he couldn't. He didn't know what it would do. Don't say it, don't say it...

"FREE!" He screamed.

Everyone froze. His hand went limp as he dropped Sophie. Slowly, the rest of his friends shook their hands and slumped, no longer under the control. The tattoos weren't glowing. All of his friends stared at him.

Then voices came - loud and heavy and shouting.

Keefe stared at Sophie. Then he broke eye contact and turned, bolting down the hallway.

"WAIT, KEEFE!" Sophie yelled.

He couldn't take the chance that she would follow him, that he would lost control and hurt her again. He couldn't hurt her.

He gave her, Sophie, one last look, the love of his life - and slammed the door to the hallway.

Now he ran faster, no one looking for him, as voices pounded through the dark hallway. Footsteps caught his trail as they pounded after him. Flashes of images darted through his mind.

Stairs. Library. Bookshelf. Marble. Metal. Blood.

And finally, a glowing doorway. He didn't know what was happening, but if he got caught, he would most certainly die. So before he could think too much he dived through the doorway.

For a few moments all he could do was lay and catch his breath. Soft carpet enveloped him as there was a dinging sound echoed from above. He looked up.

There were words, golden, shimmering over him. 

LEVEL 1 COMPLETED

—-

ok, yes, ik, i might've made the ending worse. . . but i gave you an epilogue! thanks for reading , ILYSM !!