𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟑: moexii has adhd

"Was that a good one-liner?" Moexii added. "I've been practicing for this for so long. Like, you have no idea. Erica said it was cheesy, but personally I like it. Makes me sound all menacing."

Moexii scrunched up her face into a look that was probably supposed to be menacing, but instead it made it look like she had a very intense gas bubble. Keefe thought about laughing, but he eventually decided against it. Since nobody responded to her joke, Moexii scowled at them and eventually resembled a pouting toddler, not their crazy kidnapper. 

"Guys, seriously, you're underestimating how long I've worked on this. Would it kill you to give me an actual response?" Moexii whined. 

"N-no." Tam said, and for the first time in his life, he actually seemed scared. "You're a horrible person. You're a murderer and a kidnapper and no matter how many jokes you make, you'll always be a disgusting person, inside and out."

Moexii's face darkened. She made an odd thrusting gesture, and Tam collapsed, making a strangled choking noise. Moexii made a guttural noise and Tam, on his knees now, was choking and gurgling. His veins were bulging out of his head, his face cherry red. 

"Listen to it," Moexii hissed. "See it. Let every word soak into your bones. Remember it."

Keefe dived towards Tam, determined to help him - but there was a flare of light and Keefe was blasted into the wall.

"Remember your place." Moexii hissed. "Let. Me. Finish. This."

Then Tam collapsed, and Moexii dusted off her hands as though she had done nothing more than take a particularly crumbly snack from a bag. The waves of black began coursing from Tam's body, shadow with flecks of golden light. Then she snapped again, the waves disappeared, and it looked as though nothing was happening.

Somewhere behind him, Fitz groaned.

Moexii sighed. "Oh yes, I suppose your hero complex will lead you to go get your friends. Just please not Participation Award first."

Keefe sighed, now used to Moexii's slightly evil one-liners, and hurried over to help - to Moexii's delight - Biana and Linh, who were steadily rising to their feet. Suddenly, though, Biana's sleepy teal eyes jolted wide open and she screamed.

Keefe whirled around to find a blast of silver light whirling towards him. It hit him in the head and even though it didn't physically knock him anywhere, it made him feel like somebody had just hit him in the head with an extraordinarily heavy blunt object. His vision clouded, and spots of pain flashed through his eyes.

Don't faint, Keefe thought woozily, please don't faint.

But his body didn't respond, and the blast's building pain got so bad that, yes, he toppled. His vision fogged up and even though he wasn't usually a poetic person, he could've sworn he felt the cold breath of Death on his neck. Then dark wings swarmed from the back of his head into his eyes and he was gone, gone, gone.

---

TRIVIA: what line from this chapter did I repeat in Perfectly Imperfect? (if you don't know what that is because you're new to my page, don't worry. but you OG fans better knowwwwww!)