Chapter 1

"Sammy, are you almost done?" a voice asks. I hear a loud knock somewhere near me, but I don't react. Instead, I cover myself with the covers of my bed and turn on to my right side with my back to the door.
    "Sam, you need to get out of bed, we need to leave in ten minutes," I hear again. I don't react and stay in my warm bed with the covers up till my neck. After a couple seconds, I feel a hand on my shoulder.
    "What are you doing?" I ask still with my eyes closed.
    "It's time to go to work," a friendly voice answers, but this time very close to my ear. Work, what work? And then I understand what she's talking about. I open my eyes and almost jump out of my bed. When I turn around, I see my roommate Holly standing in my bedroom.
    "How late is it?" I ask her.
    "Almost half past five, you've got about ten minutes to get ready." I stare at her for a second, and realize my alarm clock didn't go off.
    "What are you standing there for, hurry up," Holly says. I grab a pair of jeans, a bra and a black T-shirt from the floor of my room. I put them on and get some socks from one the drawers in my closet. I run to the bathroom and throw some water in my face. After that, I look in the mirror and make a high ponytail with my long dark-brown hair.

After a few minutes, I walk into the living room and see that Holly is waiting by the door with two thermos flasks.
    "Black coffee for me and lemon tea for you, and now we leave." We walk out of the apartment to the elevator and get on it. Holly takes a sip of her coffee and looks at me.
    "I think you need a new alarm clock," she says.
    "Why, I just forgot to set it," I answer defensively.
    "Sam, it's the third time this month. Don't tell me you forgot to set your alarm all three times."
    "Maybe I did."
    "If it's that big of a deal, I will get you a new one."
    "Why would you do that?"
    "So, I don't have to rush you anymore. It's not fun for either of us." We step out of the elevator and walk to the parking lot.

Fortunately, it's not busy on the road yet. So, we will be at the hospital on time. After driving for a couple minutes in silents, Holly slows the car down to stop for a red light. A few cars on the right side of the road cross the intersection. I sip my tea while we wait for the red light to turn green again.
    "Alex texted me about some VIP patient this morning," Holly says.
    "What about it?"
    "Some VIP patient got a surgery, and they are going to transport him today." "Transport him too where?" I ask Holly curiously.
    "Alex didn't say, guess he doesn't know that. But we will probably find out when we get to the hospital." Holly crosses the intersection and after a couple of minutes we arrive at the hospital. She parks the car, and we get out. I grab my bag from the backseat, and we walk to the entrance.

    "Did you hear?" I turn around and see Jo standing beside me in the dressing room. "What?" I ask while I put my shirt over my head.
    "There is a criminal in the hospital. They brought someone from the prison to get a surgery."
    "Serious, Holly was talking about a VIP, that isn't a VIP." I close my locker and look at Jo, who is still standing there, like it's somehow cool to have a prisoner in the hospital you work at.
    "They are going to transport him in a while," Jo says.
    "What is he in for?" I ask her.
    "I don't think we are supposed to know that," she answers.
    "I wasn't talking about his crime, Jo. I was wondering why he came into the hospital." I walk through the door into the halls of the hospital.
    "A nurse told me that she heard from a doctor that he swallowed something that needed to be removed fast" Jo said after a view minutes.
    "Swallowed what?" I ask her.
    "I heard there were small blades," someone answers me. I look to my left and see that Alex is walking besides me.
    "How does a prisoner get access to blades, like anything sharp at all?" I ask a bit stunned.
    "I don't know how resourceful prisoners are," Alex answers.
    "Well, I find it a little strange."
    "No doubt about that," Jo agrees.
    "Time for rounds, see you at lunch." I wave them goodbye and walk to the nurses' Station to get the charts of my patients.