Chapter 12

We're not standing between the visitors like we were. Alex took me to one of the break rooms and I'm sitting on the couch in front of the television which is hanging on the green painted wall. Alex is sitting next to me and is still holding my hand. I feel a few tears rolling down my face, I couldn't hold them back any more. I'm terrified that I'm about to lose someone I just stared to care about, he just made me believe in a future filled with love. And it's not fair. They can let an amazing guy like Evan die in the streets, while they are standing so close. But I start to believe that that's exactly what is happening. Evan can't save himself, just like Ben couldn't. Neither of them didn't see it coming, Ben couldn't change the ending, like Evan can't change the outcome by himself.
    "They will get him from under there, Sammy," I hear Alex say.
    "You don't know that, neither of us do." I keep my eyes on the TV and see someone walking up to the ladder truck, where Evan is lying on the ground. It's hard to see who it is at first, but in a few seconds, I know exactly who it is. "Bobby?"
    "Do you know that man?"
    "He is the captain, but what is he doing?" It looks like he is talking to the young man, but why? Does Bobby know him? But before I can come up with an answer, a group of armed agents surrounds Bobby and the young man. They take the boy away, and Bobby and the rest of the firefighter on the scene admittedly turn to Buck, who is still lying under the truck. But even when they work together, the truck doesn't seem to move enough to get him from under it.
    "Doctor Kinsley, you offered to help me with my studies. You said eight and well it is," someone speaks in the doorway.
    "Not now," Alex says.
    "But she promised, and I really need some help," I hear the person react and I take my eyes from the screen for a moment. I see a young man with light brown hair up till his shoulders stand in the doorway of the break room. I admittedly remember the promise I made him, and he for sure needs help. But is he really that blind, can't he see that I'm a little busy. "Or am I interrupting?"
    "Yes, you are, dude. Can't you see what they're reporting right now? I am too busy to help you, to help you pass your fucking exams," I tell him a bit loudly.
    "Doctor Kinsley, you don't have to yell," the intern reacts a little stunned.
    "Don't tell me what to do. I'm kind of busy worrying about my friend's life right now, so could you maybe fuck off and help yourself!" I say even louder.
    "Just go dude, really go," Alex tells the guy, and he almost runs out of the room. "Sam that was really not necessary." I look at Alex with more tears in my eyes.
    "Don't tell me what to do, because I'm really trying to hold myself together."
    "I know, I know Sammy," right when Alex says that I see people helping the Firemen lifting the truck, and they succeed.

I'm still in the break room, walking around, worrying about Buck. I tried calling Eddie, Chimney and Hen, but none of them are picking up, which I get. A few minutes have passed, and I need to know how Buck is doing, to which hospital they're going. Alex stepped out for a second, he needed to check on one of his patients. I'm walking in circles through the room, and then I hear the door open. I look up and see Holly standing in the doorway.
    "Hi Sammy," she says quietly, and her face looks like she knows something. She knows what's going on, what happened with Buck, and she probably got worried about me.
    "Hi."
    "Please promise that you will listen to me, and that you won't get in the way," Holly starts talking.
    "What are you talking about, Holly?"
    "Promise me, Sammy," she says again.
    "Yes, I promise," I say without thinking much of it.
    "They just brought him in, he is in the emergency room and they're working on him right now," Holly tells me.
    "He's here, Evan is here?" I ask her, and I feel my feet getting ready to run. Holly nods her head and I'm out the door. I run through the halls up to the emergency room, without bumping into anyone. I get through the doors and push through them.

The room is filled with doctors, patients and a couple of firefighters. I walk up to one of the smaller rooms and I see some familiar faces standing by the door. Eddie is leaning against the glass window next to Henrietta. Chimney is talking to one of the doctors, together with Bobby.
    "Sammy you're here," Eddie says a little surprised. I look at him, but I don't say a word.
    "They're working on him," Henrietta tells me.
    "Who is?" is all I ask.
    "Doctor Torres, I think."
    "Good, she's great."
    "That good to hear Sammy," Henrietta says. I nod my head and walk up to the door.
Before I push it open, I wait for a second. I know I shouldn't go in. There are all kinds of rules about keeping your distance when you know a patient personally, but I can't help it. I push the door open and go inside. A few familiar faces are standing in the room, around a gurney. I stare at the group and in the middle of them I see him lying with his eyes to the ceiling. They cut his pants off, and he is lying in his underwear. I look at my friend lying on the gurney and I hear him moan.
    "Doctor Kinsley, what are you doing here?" I hear Doctor Torres ask, surprised. I try to ignore her and keep my eyes on Evan. "Doctor Kinsley, you can't be in here," Torres says, and right then Evan turns his head to his left, and he looks straight into my eyes.
    "Sam," he almost whispers, and I see a tear leaving his eye.
    "Hi," is all I can say.
    "Holden, get her out," I hear Torres order him.
    "Kinsley, you know you can't be in here," the chief of surgery tells me, but I don't look at him. "Doctor Kinsley, you need to leave this room," he orders me.
    "No, no let her stay please," Evan begs. He starts to move around on the gurney and starts moaning again.
    "You need to stay still, firefighter Buckley," one of the nurses tells Evan.
    "Let her stay, please let her stay," he begs louder, and he starts to scream from the pain. I feel Torres's eyes on me while I keep mine on Buck.
    "Can you keep him calm, Kinsley?" she asks me. And I nod my head. "Then start doing that." I walk up to the gurney and Evan looks at me with red coloured eyes. I take his hand in mine and show him a friendly smile.
    "I'm here, Evan, and I'm not leaving," I say with tears rolling down my face.
    "Thank you," Buck whispers to me.
    "I could never leave you Evan, even though you scare me," I say quietly while the other doctors are working on him.