7

I head into the gym. Spider and Malakai are playing one on one.

"Oi!" I shout. "You dick heads need a ride home or what?"

"We're in the middle of a game," Spider tells me.

"Yeah, well I've got to pick up Mason," I tell him. "You need a ride or not?"

"Yes please," Malakai tells me.

I smile. "Looks like your game's over, Spider." He makes a face. "I'll be at my car."

After picking up Mason I head to Harry's with Quinni and Amerie. Darren is working but takes a break to join us. I tell them about the conversation I had with Dusty

"I shouldn't have said anything," I insist.

"Why? It's funny," Darren says.

"What if it backfires and he tells Harper all of his secrets and it just makes them closer?" I ask. "I think Amerie would kill me."

"Dusty's darkest secret probably involves him jerking off to the time Justin Trudeau ate an apple on live TV," Darren offers.

"Don't say jerking off," Amerie tells them.

"You still doing your chastity vow?" Quinni asks.

"You mean you haven't been watching Malakai's Instagram stories?" Darren asks. They hold their phone up. "That boy is thirst trapping so hard, he might drown."

Amerie pushes the phone away from her. "Get that shit away from me."

Darren forces the phone into Amerie's hand. "The best way to get over someone is to get under someone else."

"Darren, shouldn't you be working?" Quinni asks.

"Okay, Dad," Darren remarks. They stand up to get back to work. "I'm proud of you! You're doing amazing!"

"More onion rings, yeah?" Amerie tells them.

"Oh, and a milkshake," I tell them.

Amerie and I are sitting in science class. She is staring at Malakai's insta story on her phone

"Are you still thinking about boys?" I ask.

"No," Amerie insists. I make a face. "Maybe."

"It seems like it's a particular boy," I offer.

I feel someone tap my shoulder. I turn around and the girl sitting behind me hands me a note. Harper is behind the girl watching me. I open it and Amerie reads it over my shoulder. Harper wants to talk. Amerie grabs the note from me and shoves it into her mouth while she stares at Harper.

"You weirdo." I laugh. "But I dig the commitment."

I head into the gym. Spider is there practicing by himself. He hears me walk in and smiles. He holds the basketball up.

"One-on-one."

I smile. "Are you just assuming I'm shit at sport? So, you can teach me."

Spider laughs lightly. "Maybe."

"I'm a boss teacher," Spider tells me.

"You?" I ask with a laugh. "A good teacher?"

"I'm very patient," Spider tells me.

I take the basketball from him. I shot it and it goes through the net.

"Fuckin' LeBron over here," Spider teases.

"Piss off," I tell him. "I never said I was actually shit at sport."

"All right." Spider tosses the ball back to me. "Let's play."