28

So Amerie may have a little problem. She missed her period. So Harper and I are at the chemist to get her an abortion pill. No way can Amerie be a mum right now. We're still in high school. We're young and dumb. A baby would really cramp our style.

Harper is trying on a pair of blue sunies. "Oi, do you reckon these would look good with my formal fit?"

"Really? You're asking me that now?" Amerie remarks. "Nice."

"We should all get a pair," I offer as I put on a pink pair.

Amerie looks through the sunies. "Oh!"

"Actually, maybe something more like..." Harper starts.

Suddenly Amerie grabs Harper and I and drags us down an aisle.

"That's my fucking mum," Amerie says.

"What?" Harper asks.

I look around. "Where?"

Harper looks around the end of the aisle before dropping back down. "Shit."

Amerie drags us down another aisle. We alamo crawl right into her mum. We go down the next aisle instead.

"Quick! Before she sees us," Amerie says. "This way!" Some guy stands in the way. "Sorry, sorry."

"Move it, dude," Harper tells him.

"It's an emergency," I state.

"What the hell?" the guy remarks as we crawl through his legs.

"Hurry up. Run," Amerie tells us.

After successfully avoiding Amerie's mum Harper and I head to hers. Amerie is going to talk to Malakai about taking the pill. It was his sperm after all.

Harper looks at me for a little too long.

"What?" I ask.

"Were you ever gonna tell me you and Spider are a thing again?" Harper asks.

I shrug my shoulders. "Thought you'd figure it out eventually."

"When did it happen?" Harper asks.

"The day I was supposed to meet you guys at the zoo for Quinni's birthday," I explain. "I met his mum."

"Oh my god," Harper says. "Is she like the exact opposite of Spider? All nice and shit."

"She was horrible," I confess. "Like hate that Spider has to live with her horrible."

"Wow," Harper remarks.

I nod my head. "Spider kind of makes sense now. Why he acts the way he does."

Things didn't go as Amerie expected them to. We sit on the couch as she explains it all.

"I mean, I already made my decision," Amerie says. "I was just telling him to be decent."

"Daddy's a deadbeat," Harper says to Amerie's stomach. "Sorry, baby."

Amerie laughs lightly. "That's not funny and don't call it baby. We need a code name. Like... "Lil' Feats.""

I make a face. "As in "little fetus"?"

"It's a good name," Amerie insists. "Whatever, I just want it out of me ASAP so I can get on with shit."

"So let's drop," Harper tells her.

"Okay." Amerie reads the box. "Okay, so the pills need to be taken 48 hours apart. We both know maths really isn't my forte, but if I take the first one now, then I should be sweet for the debate tomorrow and crowning of school captain the next day. That works, right?"