10

I sit on the steps at school with Amerie, Darren, and Quinni. Amerie is watching a GIF of Malakai and the cop slamming him to the ground.

"It started circulating over the weekend," Quinni explains.

"Who made it?" Amerie asks.

"We don't know," Quinni explains.

"Do you think he's seen it?" Amerie asks.

None of us answer. I notice Darren looking around like their trying to find someone.

"He's already in the hall," Quinni tells them.

"Oh, yeah, how's that going? Getting matching mullets soon?" Amerie asks.

"Amerie," Quinni scolds.

"Sorry. I just have feelings about Darren dating the most probbo person in our school," Amerie tells her.

"Oh, okay, he's not probbo," Darren insists. "Sure, he deals drug, but who doesn't?"

We head to the gym for an assembly. Woodsy stands up in front of all of us.

"Good morning, everybody. So, I have an announcement," Woodsy tells us. "It's really very thrilling. Hartley High has been selected to kick off the city of Sydney Interschool Basketball Semifinals." Everyone claps and cheers. "Which will garner some much-needed positive attention after the map debacle."

"Map bitch!" Spider shouts.

"Put a sock in it, Spencer," Woodsy tells him. "It's actually a very big honor and we would like all of you to do your bit and help us clean up our school."

"Don't actual cleaners do that, Miss?" Ant asks.

"Great contribution, Anthony," Woodsy says. "Anything else? As a little incentive, the student who picks up the most bags of rubbish will receive a PlayStation... gift voucher. Valued at $50. It's still a lot."

"I want that gift voucher," Quinni says.

"And, yes, the cleanup is compulsory," Woodsy tells us. "You will be handed out schedules in the first period. Thank you."

Sasha and Missy walk over towards us after the assembly. Quinni squeals as she hugs Sasha.

"You know what? I would rather eat a balding bus tire than clean the girls' toilets," Missy tells us.

"Weird flex, but okay," Darren says.

"They haven't cleaned the sanitary bins in ages, Darren," Missy tells them. "Shit's a horror show."

"Period," Darren says.

"Let me guess, you're going to be the trash queen of Hartley High," Sasha tells Quinni.

"Don't encourage her," Darren states.

"You're jealous she's going to beat you," Sasha insists.

"Yeah, you're jealous," Quinni says.

Darren shakes their head. "No, you sweet, stupid lesbians. I won't be partaking because I don't clean up rubbish after white people. Sorry."

"That's fair enough," Quinni says.

"I could get the Environmental Club to come pitch in and win you that gift voucher," Sasha offers.

"You'd do that for me?" Quinni asks.

"Of course, I would," Sasha tells her. "You are my trash queen."

I sit next to Spider in SLTs. Ever since Spider and I decided to go steady I look around thinking everyone must know.