Chapter 11: Peace Negotiations

The first two people who sat before then was Ambassador Ellie Katie, the supposed Embassador for the United States to the Saderan government, as well as Patrick Jim, the Secretary of State.

He was there to take notes of the meeting.

In addition, Millie and Joseph were present, wearing their dress uniforms.

Because of Lelei, the most proficient with the New World's language was not present, Millie and Joseph would take their place as interpreters.

Piña and Bozes were understandably nervous.

After all, a single mistake could ruin the Saderan Empire.

Piña had not come here for talks.

She had only agreed to come as an intermediary to facilitate relations between the Empire of Sadera and the United States of America.

If the US asked her to speak on the Saderan Empire's behalf, that would be entirely different beast from being a middleman.

Given that the Saderan Empire had suffered multiple crushing defeats on the battlefield, asking her to sign a treaty would be no different from demanding the Saderan Empire's surrender.

Because of that, she had to stack to her position of being an intermediary.

She was so worried about saying the wrong thing that the sweat beaded visible on her forehead.

Piña felt that "Diplomacy is a war of words," and right now she regretted not having brought Hamilton along with her.

Similarly, Millie and Joseph were having a hard time.

The two of them did not have Lelei's analytical and deductive skills, or her extensive vocabulary.

However, the two of them had to rely on their phrasebooks - as well as the occasional helping hand from Piña and Bozes - in order to somehow push these talks through.

As for these "representatives they could communicate with", the first choice would obviously be Piña, who made it clear to America who they were communicating with.

Of course, they would not dump all their requests on her; even being a middleman would be enough.

The US government would also to verify that piece of good news.

Next would be the number of people in the first group of envoys.

In negotiations, a single person could not attend meetings and dictate conditions by themselves.

These matters would be discussed repeatedly, over long periods of time, with both parties working together to come to a compromise that they could both agree on.

This was a long and tiring process, and it only made sense to send multiple people to carry it out.

In addition, they would have to decide how to pay for their envoy's stay in their host country.

This too was natural; after all, diplomatic negotiations would not be finished in a day or two.

The negotiation process might take months, or even years.