special chapter -the end-

the winter that had trapped the campus in a dark, stifling dome of snow and rain had finally melted into a warmer, gentler spring; the trees are starting to see some pinks and reds budding on the tips of their once barren branches, and the ground is awakening from its months-long slumber, stretching its little green arms and getting up to greet the sun.

the library was business as usual, which of course means nearly no business at all-save for a particular read rat with a cheek-pinching grin and a thick head of chestnut brown hair. said read-rat is currently jogging down the thawing sidewalk, a collection of books clutched between his forearms hanging on for dear life as he tumbled into the library. he met eyes with a special little librarian, who's hair was just recently dyed black, but still oh-so unruly; he's got on a pair of thin-rimmed harry potter-esque lenses (a gift for always postponing a trip to the optometrist) and a signature blood red apron fastened at the small of his back. his angelic smile set the student's heart into orbit, but he approached despite the butterflies.

"hey, stranger," felix giggled, pushing himself up from behind the reception desk just slightly to meet his tall counterpart for a little peck on the cheek.

"i'll never get over those glasses."

"shut up. you know i hate them."

"you're the prettiest librarian i've ever seen in my life. give me the number of your eye doctor, i need to thank him."

felix rolled his eyes to downplay the deadly blush he served so effortlessly, taking the stack of books silently and hiding a blossoming grin from his teasing boyfriend. chan watched him as he scanned each story back into the database, and when he was finished, he quizzed, "when do you get a break?"

a quick check at the clock above the entrance doors told felix, "in ten minutes."

"i'm gonna attempt to find a book i haven't read yet. if i'm not back in ten minutes i'm dead." chan drummed a little ditty on the counter before skipping away like a bunny caught in a yard, disappearing into the shelves with a heavenly little laugh following behind.

the sun was glittering through the glass opening above the employee's head, and he took a deep breath to slow his heart rate. it's been what, three months? and you can't calm down around him? you're dating him, for god's sake! get your shit together! he scolded himself, smiling all the while.

the now black haired boy stood up and escaped the desk, tucking himself into the break room and pouring himself a cup of coffee. he recently had a craving for it kick in after a while of hating the way it tasted... how unusual. he sipped it and instantly regretted it, feeling the tip of his tongue sizzling mockingly. carrying the paper cup back to the front desk, the boy found an ecstatic chan waiting for him, looking happy as can be. his eye smiles have become permanent now.

"back so fast."

"this one, please, mr. cute library boy sir."

"you are full of energy today," felix chuckled, swiping the book under the red light of the scanner, "what will make you calm down?"

"a kiss. definitely a kiss."

"you little bastard."

the books whispered amongst themselves, watching their little prodigies bicker with each other over pointless little topics and wasting the remaining four minutes until felix could clock out for a lunch break; the entire library felt alive, everything from the carpet to the pens beside the computer, and they all listened as their own little love story was being read aloud.

chan dragged his boyfriend out from behind the desk and the two of them walked out the front doors, still fake arguing over what kind of special edition hershey's bar tastes best. the forgotten cup of coffee sat steaming in its own deja vu, the sun still spilled gold on the volumes, the library still breathed the air left in their wake, and the book chan had checked out waited patiently on the counter for them to come back- because they always did. no matter what, they always came back to the library.

first glance, first kiss, first everything- it all happened there. it's almost fabricated, they think at times, the way they were brought together by something so ordinary as a campus library. but then again, the best stories come from the humblest origins...

and it's only right that they continue their story from the place where they began.

jejsklwksks this pic of felix?.??.