21. I Want to Know What Love Is

Over the following days, I felt as if I could conquer the world. I felt renewed and excited for life. Sadly, I couldn't remember the last time I felt that way. Things were good, and it felt great knowing that. In fact, I felt so bold that I asked Eddie to go to prom with me. 

Both of us had seen the flyers advertising the upcoming dance,  but neither of us had said anything about it. I assumed that Eddie wouldn't want to go. In fact, when I asked him, I was surprised he didn't go on some rant about forced conformity and following along with what everyone else does. 

"Who are you and what have you done with my boyfriend?" I asked him when he said he would be honored to be my date.

"What?" He replied defensively.

I raised my eyebrows at him. "You actually want to go to prom?" 

"Of course not." He replied quickly. "But you obviously want to go and I'll do anything that will make you happy." He smiled at me warmly.

Eddie was right in thinking that I wanted to go. I always dreamed of going to prom, but always assumed that I would never have anyone to go with. Here I was, about to realize my dream. 

"Thanks, Eddie." I said with a kiss on his cheek.

"Anything for you, sweetheart." He said sweetly. 

__________________

__________________

Prom night quickly arrived. When Eddie arrived, he surprisingly came inside and didn't simply wait for me to head out to his van. When he saw me in my prom dress, he stopped and stared, seemingly frozen in place. "Wow Y/N, you look beautiful!"

I spun around, allowing him to see the whole dress, and then thanked him. "You look very handsome as well." Eddie, shockingly, had rented a cheap tux for the night and did look very nice. It was strange seeing him dressed up, but he was indeed handsome. 

It took us a while to get out the door with my mom insisting on taking a bunch of photos, but we eventually made our way out. Before the dance started, the two of us went out to dinner and Enzo's. We felt like royalty being all dressed up and going out to eat at a fancy restaurant. 

The exciting night continued when we arrived at the school. The gym was decorated and buzzing with energy from all of the students gathered in their best clothes, ready to have a fun night. 

Eddie and I were idling on the side of the dance floor when Robin walked in. And to my surprise, Vickie was walking side-by-side with her! In that moment, I realized I forgot to check back in with her and it hit me that this is what she must have been trying to tell me. I told Eddie that I would be right back and ran over to Robin.

As I approached, Robin gave me a nervous smile. "Robin! You and Vickie?" I looked between her and her date. 

Robin and Vickie looked at each other and smiled. Robin turned back to me and smiled. "I'm so happy for you. Really." I said and gave her a hug. "I know we haven't spoken much lately, but know that I'll always be here cheering you on and supporting you."

Robin seemed to be touched by that. "Don't get all emotional on me, Y/N. But thank you. I'm happy for you too. I know we'll always have each other." She said sincerely. We wished each other well and I made my way back to Eddie.

Eddie and I spent the night dancing, goofing around, and embarrassing ourselves. I had no care in the world and was fully in the moment. I had never been happier. It was so freeing and exhilarating just experiencing life with Eddie and not worrying about what others were thinking of me. 

We had been taking a break at the punch table when the DJ announced that he was slowing things down a bit. He encouraged all couples to come out the dance floor. Eddie turned to me and extended his hand, "May I have this dance my lady?" He asked with a funny flourish.

I giggled and took his hand. He lead me out to the dance floor as the DJ put on "I Want to Know What Love Is" by Foreigner. Eddie held me close, one hand in mine and the other on my lower back. We swayed back and forth, simply enjoying the moment together. 

Halfway through our dance, Eddie leaned in and whispered in my ear. "You make me so happy, Y/N. I feel so lucky to call you mine. I... I love you."

My heart skipped a beat. The music, the atmosphere, the warmth from Eddie's body and breath, his words. It was all so magical. Perfect.

I whispered right back, "I love you too."

Still holding onto each other, we faced each other and look into one another's eyes. The two of us were completely connected in that moment. I trusted in us fully and knew that nothing could ever tear us apart. We found ourselves in a warm kiss and then a comforting embrace. 

This all felt like a dream. I couldn't possibly be this lucky, but it was reality. Somehow, it was my reality. Over the past few months, I had gone from the reserved and invisible girl, to the girlfriend of the rebellious metalhead. I was dancing with the man that I loved at prom and was utterly in heaven. 

I truly was no longer The Other Wheeler, but instead had found my own self and had started to form my own path. Not having the protection of my solitude was sometimes scary, but knowing that Eddie would be by my side made my future of self discovery less daunting. Whatever the world throws at me, with Eddie by my side, I know that I can face it. 

The End.