Chapter 20

Chapter 20

I was power walking to my class. I didn't want to run because it would make me look like a lunatic. A late lunatic.

            I'd overslept.

            I'd forgotten to put my alarm and Princess Tyler had woken up on his own, and left me to sleep.

            He was going to have hell to pay the next time I would see him.

            The one time I actually would have needed him to wake me up, he'd been totally useless.

            I would have texted him obscenities if it hadn't been for the fact that my concentration had to be a hundred percent on power walking to my classroom.

            When I finally got there, the class had already started.

            I tried to come in as inconspicuously as I could, but everyone's head snapped to the back the second I opened the door, and their eyes pretty much stayed on me all the way to my desk.

            I slid in my chair beside Esther feeling really small, while the professor kind of glared at me.

            I gave him a sheepish grin as I took out my notebook from my bag.

            His lectured continued.

            Esther scribbled on a piece of paper, Good morning, Nick-of-Time

            I took the paper out of her hands, and wrote back, Doubly wrong. Because it's not my name and I'm also late.

The corner of her mouth lifted as she fought off a smile, making me smile back in return.

The teacher cleared his throat. My eyes snapped back to him. He was glaring at me again.

I think I'd kind of been staring at Esther with a goofy grin...

Today was really not my day. I was becoming delusional.

Fortunately, Esther hadn't to notice my total lack of mental capacities, so classes went on and I tried not to look her way.

The professor gave us a break in the middle of the class, so some people got out to go to the bathroom or to grab something to eat quickly.

Esther and I stayed seated.

"You're okay?" she asked me softly.

I probably looked like a mess. I felt like a mess. There were very few things I hated more than having to wake up in a hurry, and not being able to do anything properly and just running around in a panic.

"I'm soooo tired. I didn't get my morning coffee," I whined.

"Oh no, poor Mechanic," she crooned, teasingly.

I almost leaned my head against her shoulder. I caught myself right before I'd done it. When had I become so comfortable with Esther that I'd almost done something like this naturally?

I needed to get my head out of my ass. Esther was easily spooked. I should just be grateful she wasn't hugging the wall anymore to sit as far away from me as she could.

Also, I was out of it. I blame the whole ruined morning thing.

"Not bad, you're clearly getting more and more creative," I told her referring to her latest attempt at figuring out my name.

"I'm just trying every idea I can come up with," she chuckled.

"Should I give you a hint?" I asked her, chuckling too. It was a good thing she was in my first class. That way I was already in a better mood regardless of the bad start of my day.