Chapter 2

Loud shirking wail of the newborn echoed from inside of the Queen's personal chamber.

Ser Criston Cole, stationed outside of the door could barely hold his ears from bleeding. He worried for his Queen, hoping everything was alright. The Queen was alright, the new princess was alright. However, the hours long cry simply made his worry grow and hopes shorten.

It was the early hours of the morning when the princess was born, now evening was approaching. And the babe was yet to stop her cries.

Nothing was alright.

On the other side of the door, an extremely distressed Alicent Hightower rocked her newborn back and forth pacing across the room helplessly. She has not yet been properly cleaned nor changed out of the clothes she had given birth in.

Signs of tension began showing up on all faces present as the second wet nurse failed to produce milk. It came as no surprise since neither had birthed any children recently. And as Princess Rhaenyra was nursing her second son Lucerys Velaryon by herself this time, so no prior arrangements were made for the Queen. Nor did they have many wet nurses ready in hand.

Utmost desperate the Queen attempted to latch the newborn onto her breast again. Her third attempt!

But to no avail.

There was no answer to why she remained unable to produce milk?

Alicent danced her face between her daughter and the grand maester Mellos, hoping he had some answers.

Unfortunately, that moment he had naught.

Everyone was focused on the newborn who has been hungry for far too long.

One of the young maester rushed out whilst Mellos and the other senior maesters remained, attending to the Queen and her newborn daughter.

oOo

The matter was addressed to the King immediately.

In an instant Viserys rose to feet and left the feast he threw to celebrate the arrival of his new daughter, leaving his Hand Ser Lyonel Strong and his heir Princess Rhaenyra in charge.

The pace of his footsteps picked up as he neared his destination. He knows the agony of losing Aemma once — it is excruciating. A pain that is devouring him little by little every day. Therefore he cannot lose her again.

She will never forgive him then. Never!

Barging into the Queen's chamber he rushed to his wife's side to check on his daughter and demanded to know what was happening. Surprised by Viserys's unexpected harsh voice Alicent found herself at loss of words. She looked at him perplexed, unable to speak.

Maester Mellos then briefed the King on the urgency of the situation: No prior arrangements for wet nurses had been made. The Queen herself included is unable to produce milk. The newborn has been hungry for far long.

The King's face paled, his eyes went wide. Fear reflected in them.

An order was barked out: immediate search for a wet-nurse in King's Landing.

Alicent shivered. Repulsed by the idea of someone absolutely unknown feed her child. What if it is a whore picked up from the Streets of Silks. Chances are that is where they will find a lactating mother in such haste.

And Alicent would rather have the babe dead than watch her be fed by a filthy woman.

As it contradicted with her faith and beliefs.

But she was given no chance to explain.

Maester Mellos and the King remained in discussion completely ignoring her presence. Even though she was there, standing between them.