Chapter 5

"This is the stuff Lyonel. Lads that learn together, train together, push each other, beat each other up will certainly form a life long bond; wouldn't you agree...?" King told his lord Hand. His voice perfectly portraying the enthusiasm of a naïve child who either could not see the actual scenario or deliberately refuses to look at it.

"That is the hope, your grace." Taking a quick breath, the Hand of the King responded.

On her father's lap Aemma turned and cocked her head at the man standing, to study him. His face lacked the King's enthusiasm. Unlike the latter he was seeing the scene unfold differently. Simultaneously, in his mind hoping and praying for the King's naïve assumptions to be true.

The King then turned to his daughter and kissed the crown of her head.

"Lyonel seems hesitant, but you agree with me, don't you Aemma?"

The girl in question switched her attention from the Hand of the King to the King. And instead of answering she put the sapphire pendant, which she has been fiddling between her fingers all this time, into her mouth and began suckling on it. A habit she picked up anytime she did not wish to speak to an individual.

This time it happens to be her father. Actually... last time it was her father as well.

Truth is, Aemma never quite enjoys her father's company. It is especially worse recently. His blatant favours over his eldest daughter's family and lack of interest in his younger children is only making the gap wider between him and his younger children. Although Aemma's situation vastly differs from her siblings; still, it does not change the resentment she formed in her heart towards the man who is causing her own blood to be hurt. Also, the man's ageing, sickly and ugly (in Aemma's own words) appearance is definitely not helping the situation. She prefers to be around her mother who is youthful and beautiful look wise.

However, if being in her father's company means she can use it as an excuse to skip her lesson with her Septa then be it! Which is precisely the reason she is here today— on the terrace above the courtyard.

Seated on her father's lap and wiggling her legs freely, Aemma was overlooking the training ground. Watching her brothers and nephews train under the supervision of Ser Cristen Cole; with absolute disinterested eyes.

Disinterested, mostly due to Daeron's absence from today's training. The boy has been suffering from upset stomach due to over indulging in apple pies last night.

Aemma contemplated on leaving. As the plan to sneak into Daeron's chamber and check on him tantalize her mind. But she decided against it for two reasons:

One- She did not want to be caught by an angry Septa Lyra, who in Aemma's opinion is the absolute worst. The older woman would certainly not hesitate to viciously drag her back inside and assign her additional task of sewing. Subsequently complaining to her mother adding details that would only get her grounded.

Two- when a supposedly passing by Ser Harwin Strong stopped to offer some advices to her nephews. The scene peaked Aemma's interest as she recalled the excitement in her mother's face when she told him about the man accompanying Lucerys that day, when he gave her the flowers.

Let it be known that Aemma's decision to stay worked in her favour. Rapidly things got interesting on the training ground. Ser Harwin soon questioned Ser Criston's method of training, accusing him of not paying proper attention to his younger pupils. Aggravated by the Commander of the City Watch, Ser Criston changed his tactics. The boys were paired up. Elder brother against elder brother and younger brother against younger brother. The first one to go up against one another were Aegon and Jacaerys.