Chapter 6

Standing on the deck of the ship, distance away from where the smaller figures were, Alicent Hightower absently observed with content eyes.

Her children playing.

Although unsure what they were actually up for, the sight of them bickering was still highly entertaining. Alicent was not willing to look away. She watched Aemma forcibly bring Aemond down to his knees before proceeding to climb on and sit on his shoulders. Then grabbing fistful of his hair to support herself, she commanded him to get up and start moving.

Aemond obeyed, to no surprise of his mother.

Tightly gripping her knees he carefully stood up on his feet and marched over to where his sister directed.

Touched by the scene, a smile tugged at the corner of the young Queen's lips. She is truly proud of her second son. The middle child to be accurate. With two before him and two after him, Aemond stands at the centre blanching the rest of his siblings. He is everything a mother dreams of, and Alicent would have him no other way. As it's him, who makes up for everything her eldest boy lacks in quality— being responsible, respectful, obedient, loving and most definitely kind hearted.

Even now, how Aemond's handling his troublesome little sister is truly remarkable to Alicent. Not as a biased mother, but as a person in general, she is throughly impressed by his patience and level of understanding. She's aware that he wanted to be in his cabin and read. Even brought few books along, which he intended to finish during this journey. However the little girl had different plans. Unfortunately, it involves him. Therefore he is forced out of the cabin against his will and brought to the deck. So that she could plonk on his shoulders and perhaps make him give her a tour of the ship.

"Such waste of opportunity." Her father's voice rumbled behind her. Alicent did not sense the other presence joining her. It matters not nonetheless. He has been sneaking up on her like this for years now. A part of her already used to the intrusion. Even then, she tensed. Although she had no reason to be.

Ironic, how he had only been back at court couple days and already he was getting on her nerves. First he had manipulated her to get the eldest children betrothed. Who knows what he has up his mind this time, involving the two boys who are available.

From the corner of her eyes Alicent noted how he was watching the children. His gaze hard on Aemma.

"What is it that you have in mind, father?" She asked boldly. Years in his absence gave her the courage.

"How have you not managed to rectify the King's mistake?" Alicent turned to her father in question. Otto Hightower cast her a disappointed glance before clarifying.

"Your daughter's betrothal to Lucerys Velaryon, I'm referring to."

Otto Hightower came prepared and determined, collecting few proposals before his return to the court to get the youngest Princess married into the Hightower family. Being the King's only favourite child from his second wife means she will be a great asset in the future.

The sound of Aemma's laughter permeated through the air. But Hightower father-daughter neither looked, preoccupied glaring at the other.

In the distance, the children are wrestling on the ground. With the elder tickling the younger and bringing about her laughter.

"Do you think I have any say in matters involving Aemma?!" Rage took root in Alicent's heart at the mention of her daughter's betrothal. "I am only a vessel that brought her into the world for the King and his Princess. All decisions are taken by them. I'm never even consulted, just informed as courtesy."

"You have been married to the King for so long, and yet you fail to persuade him." Otto mused, looking down at his daughter, unimpressed.

In fact, he seemed positively disappointed... disgruntled even.