Chapter 3

To be a dragon but not be bonded with one. Oh how painful it was, Aemond Targaryen came to understand as the eggs around him begun hatching.

The first egg that hatched belonged to Jacaerys. The bastard was fortunate enough to have it hatched in his cradle. Vermax was the name his dragon received. Couple years later Daeron's egg hatched. Tessarion was the name given to the new hatchling; who'd later grow to be a beautiful blue she dragon. Few moons later another egg hatched. Now the other bastard also has a dragon. Arrax was the name given to the beast. In Aemond's personal opinion it was the ugliest one so far.

At least the boy has a dragon. A voice inside the dragon-less prince constantly nagged. Making him taste bile in his mouth.

Then, towards the end of the year Aemma's egg also hatched. Her hatchling was named Arryron. Chosen by the King personally, matching with the family name of his beloved wife; Arryn.

Like Aemma, her little dragon also received a lot of attention from the King.

The children were all invited to the dragon-pit for viewing the new hatchling. While the rest hardly bothered, Aemond went, and watched with downhearted eyes. Pain, shame and guilt of now being the only one without a dragon reflected in them.

That aside, his eyes held great deal of admiration for the little dragon. By far she was the most beautiful hatchling, in the hues of dark violet and shades of green scales reflecting on her chest to stomach. Perhaps his own dragon would have been of similar features, if only his egg had not turned to stone.

He sighed heavily.

If only...

oOo

Much to his dismay, a week later during their morning training session Aemond learned of the disturbing news.

"Oh Aemond, you have a partner now."

"Whatever do you mean?" Aemond arched an eyebrow. Surely his brother's remark was odd, but definitely not worthy enough to deter him from his training.

"Haven't you heard?" Aegon asked, striking Daeron. The latter focused on defending his brother's blow. Their nephews were absent, so it was just them, the three brothers, on the courtyard training that morning.

"Heard what?"

"Just like you, now, our little sister is also without a dragon." Aegon revealed, grinning. His face made it look like he was jesting.

"Arryron's dead." Daeron clarified.

"What?!" Aemond managed to exclaim before finding himself frozen on the spot. Giving his brothers the opportunity to knock him down to the ground.

"A dragon keeper found her unmoving and unconscious in her confinement, earlier this morning." Aegon elaborated whilst Daeron offered him a hand and helped him up on his feet.

"From what I heard, several attempts were made to revive her, before the dragon-keepers declared her dead."

Aemond felt his heart skip a beat before it began beating in his ears. He looked at Aegon perplexed. Mind contemplating whether or not to believe him. Because what he was speaking of was a matter beyond serious. Not only is the death of a newly hatched dragon considered bad omen; but death of a bonded hatchling has never occurred. While weak young hatchlings are known to die in some rare occasions, but death of a one bonded was unheard of.

It happened nevertheless.

His heart throbbed uneasily.

It happened to Aemma!