glimpse of us

Btw shit's gonna go down in this chapter

The day was over. It was midnight. A new day has started.

"I didn't know you were so good at cooking." I told Joji as we climbed into bed.

"I mean, I'm not the best, but whatever you say." Joji shrugged. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He got in bed and put the blanket over his legs, and when I got in, he waved his hand, signaling me to come over there with him and then we started cuddling.

"Joji." I tapped on his shoulder. It had been a while we were laying there.

"What's up, babe?" he asked.

"Can you sing me to sleep?" I asked him. "I hate the silence. Always have. Plus, I love your voice."

"Of course you love my voice." Joji said. "But why do you hate silence?"

"When I was little, I used to be scared of it being quiet." I told him. "And whenever it was silent, I'd always hear a noise that spooked me, I'd stay in bed and turn on music to ignore it, because I was always too scared to get up and see what it was."

"I used to be just like that." Joji said before he coughed loudly to warm up his voice. He started singing the chorus to "Sanctuary". He looked at me in the eyes and smiled the entire time.

"I wish I knew you whenever I wrote that song," Joji spoke once he was done singing. "because then I would've wrote it about you. Nothing would've changed, so I guess it's about you now."

"That's me." I smiled as I booped his nose. "Your little piece of a claimed land. A claimed sanctuary. You have claimed me before anyone else could. No, really. Nobody's claimed me or said they've loved me before you. You must be dead in the head if you love me."

"Well, if I'm dead in the head if I love you, I hope my head doesn't come back to life." Joji remarked.

"Terrible dad joke," I said. "but it meant a lot."

I grabbed my earbuds. "You wanna listen to music together?" I asked him.

"Sure." George said.

"I made this playlist about you that has a lot of Sasha Alex Sloan and Nessa Barrett, and--" I saw the blue dot on the notification button (I was on Spotify btw). "Ooh! New music!" my ADHD kicked in and instantly made me interrupt myself.

I saw that Joji had released a new song titled, "Glimpse of Us". "You didn't tell me you released a new song." I looked at him. "I wanna listen to it. Why didn't you tell me?"

"I wanted it to be a surprise." Joji lied.

"I don't know what they'll think of it." Joji said in his mind. "I wrote this before I met them, and it's about me being with a girl and wanting my ex back -- which has never happened to me; I just needed song inspiration -- and I'm scared they'll think it's about them, which it's not, and--" his thoughts were interrupted by me.

"The beginning with the piano sounds beautiful." I said innocently, not knowing what's in store for me.

"Shit." Joji said in his mind. "They already started it. What if they think it's true? What if they leave me? I can't imagine a world without Rae. I'm overthinking."

The first few lines started.

~she'd take the world off my shoulders, if it was ever hard to move~

~she'd turn the rain to a rainbow, when I was living in the blue~

"Aw, is this about me, Jo?" I smiled. "In case you forgot, -- because it sounds like you did -- my pronouns aren't she/her, it's they/them."

Shit. The next lines started.

~why then, if she's so perfect, do I still wish that it was you?~

~well, perfect don't mean that it's working, so what can I do?~

"What?" I looked at Jo, flabbergasted and confused.

"Raegan, I--" George sighed as the chorus started.

~'cause sometimes I look in her eyes, and that's where I find a glimpse of us~

~and I try to fall for her touch, but I'm thinking of the way it was~

And so on and so forth.

"You liar." I scooted away from George as I put my phone away. I didn't want to listen to it anymore. "This is what I mean when I say I'm hard to love. Nobody's ever said they've loved me. But you did. And you did a pretty damn good job at making me believe it."

"Raegan, you don't understand." George tried to convince me.

"Oh, I understand completely." I got out of bed. "If you really want your oh-so-perfect ex-girlfriend back, why don't you just have her? We're over."

"No, we're not." George got out of bed too.

"Yes, we are." I raised my voice at him. I never thought I would, but I had to do what I had to do. "I'm over you. I never want to see you again. Now pack your bags and move back to where you lived."

    I ran out of the bus, crying. I sat on the curb of the sidewalk we were parked by.

                              (joji's pov)

    I didn't pack my bags. I still stood there by the bed. I wish there was some way for me to tell Raegan that it has nothing to do with them, but I don't think they'll believe me. I'd think they would; they've loved me for a long time and has trusted in me even before we met. But they won't budge.

    I finally worked up the nerve to go out there. They were still crying.

    "Go away!" Rae yelled. "Didn't I tell you to leave me alone? You lied to me. Somebody who really cares wouldn't do that. Fuck you."

    "Rae, listen, that wasn't about you." I tried to explain.

    "Is everything ok out here?" Elias peeked through the door. I guess he woke up from Raegan's crying.

    "He fucking lied to me!" Raegan yelled as they pointed to me. "He doesn't love me! He wants his wonderful ex-girlfriend back." they threw their hands in the air.

    "Rae, baby, I do love you." I raised up their chin. "I wrote that song before I met you. Besides, my ex-girlfriend means nothing to me compared to you. You're the best thing that's ever happened to me. The other girls I've dated before don't matter now." I grabbed my book of all the songs I've written. I flipped to the page with "Glimpse of Us". "Look at this." the top of the page had the day I wrote it. It was 3 months before Raegan came into my life.

    "Is this true?" they examined the page. "You wrote this in July?"

"Yeah, it is." I answered.

"So you don't care about your ex more than me?" Rae made sure.

"I couldn't care about anybody more than you." I smiled.

Raegan jumped up and gave me a big hug, and they were crying again, but this time it was happy tears. "I love you so much." they whispered. "I love you too." I whispered back.

"Are we back together?" Raegan whispered.

    "Definitely." I whispered back.

    "Now that you guys have got all that sorted out," Elias chimed in. "it's 1 in the morning, get to sleep."

    "My bunk?" I asked.

    "Our bunk." Joji gave me a little punch in the arm.

                          (raegan's pov) 

    I finally forgave Joji. He doesn't miss any one of his ex-girlfriends. I hope.

    And yes we were both in our bunk again.

    Forgiveness (✧◡✧)..