Chapter 17

Maya’s P.O.V

I’d always imagined what it would feel like to get hit by a truck; and now I knew that it must be painful as hell but nothing compared to being fooled by someone you had a crush on.

As I laid in my bed last night, my mind racing with thoughts of how Mr. Duke and that bimbo were up to no good upstairs in his bedroom and I was downstairs crying myself to sleep like I’d just gone through a horrible break-up, I decided that this was totally beneath me.

I’m Maya freaking Knight and I do not cry over men. And yet, there I was doing the one thing I told myself to never do.

My teenage self would be so disappointed in me. The worst part is that I’d made myself believe in the absurd notion that Mr. Duke had feelings for me! How had I easily forgotten all the principle I’d engraved in my heart over the years? I need to get my crap together and remember my objective here; pay off my debt and get the hell out of here as soon as possible.

But who knows how soon that will be? I am but a puppy at the end of long leash held by a very handsome yet jerkish man. If I were in high school, he’d be the stereotypical hot bad boy that everybody tells you to stay away from and I’d have been the naïve and generic not so innocent girl who ends up getting mixed up with his bipolar tendencies.

So, by the time I woke up I had resolved that I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of seeing me sad. If he was going to act like that night didn’t happen then I was going to do the same. I peeled out of my covers at six o’clock sharp and got ready for the day. Feeling just a little bit devilish, I got dressed in a black sport-bra type of crop top, a plaid skirt that ended mid-thigh and black army boots. Sure, it by no means went in accordance with the weather here in London but why not? It’s my body and I can just about wear whatever I damn please.

After tidying up my room I made my way over to the kitchen humming an imaginary tune. I passed Meredith in the halls and she regarded me with wide eyes. “Where are the rest of your clothes?” she demanded with a stoic face and I grinned at her. 

“The same place as your sense of style; in the ICU suffering from non-existence,” I quipped sarcastically and flipped my hair over my shoulder. Her face morphed into a glare but I didn’t stay too long to hear what next she was going to say.

When I entered the kitchen, I greeted Matt and Ann with a chirpy voice. With the way I was acting, nobody could tell that I’d spent majority of the night in tears. One of these days I should find myself in holiday brushing shoulders with Ana De Armas and the likes. 

Matt paused momentarily from preparing the food. “I can’t say I’d ever thought I’d see you dressed like that. Any particular reason as to why you’re wearing this skimpy outfit?” he asked, brow quirked in curiosity.

I simply shrugged and tapped on the counter top. “It’s a bit hot today so I thought why not wear something that will give me some ventilation,” I voiced innocently and Ann guffawed at my comment.

“If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you’re trying to entice someone. The master perhaps,” she aired sagely and I scowled at her. 

I crossed my arms. “And why would I do that?” I asked, fake incredulity drowning my tone.

“I don’t know, you tell me,” She winked at me and then grabbed a broom in order to get her duties started.

Meredith entered the kitchen. “Theodore is by the table, go and serve him his food,” she ordered me harshly and I rolled my eyes before grabbing the tray with the food stuffs. I felt the urge to spit in his tea but that would have been too cruel. I’ll save that for another day perhaps.