Chapter 19

Maya’s P.O.V

I cannot believe that I spent the last half an hour getting ready to go out with Leslie. 

I decided to spice things up by wearing a cute lavender long sleeved dress I’d had for quite a while now and a pair of white flats. I even borrowed Ann’s curling iron just to curl my hair and dabbed some red lipstick on my lips. I didn’t look too bad; some might say that I even looked cute. I had asked Ms. Duke’s permission to go out for the night and she had shockingly sent me off with a smile. Who knew that she and I would end up on such amicable terms?

“How do I look?” I asked Lexi, who I had face-timed to show my outfit with a twirl. 

She pressed her lips grimly. “You look too pretty, Maya. Why don’t you just wear a pair of jeans, a top and call it a night? You know what, I’m not in love with the idea of you going out with this loser. Didn’t you say his name is Leslie?” she said with a grimace.

I ruffled my hair and then went to pick up my phone from where I had perched it on the dresser. “Dude, I’ve been bored for some time now and I need to breathe in some fresh air. Besides, it’s not a date, we’re just hanging out. I don’t see that could possibly wrong with that.” And there really wasn’t a problem, was there?

Lexi sighed and then smiled weakly at me. “I guess you’re right. Just be safe out there. I heard that people get stabbed a lot that side in the night. I expect all the details when you get back,” she winked and I blew her an air kiss before I ended the call.

After making sure to straighten my dress, I walked out of the room to the foyer. “Ah, going somewhere, are we?” a derogatory voice sounded from behind me. 

“Ah, being a nosy creep, are we?” I refuted in a mocking voice before spinning to see Miss Meredith looking at me with utmost disdain. Would this pain in the neck ever leave me alone?

She smiled acridly at me and rolled her eyes. “I see you’ve managed to bewitch Leslie as well. Was it your mission to be a scarlet woman here in London, Knight?” she asked, her brow raised condescendingly.

My temper flared as I took an ominous step towards her. “What exactly is your problem with me?” I charged in fury, making sure to glare daggers at her. The reason behind her constant glowering and scathing accusations bothered me so much to the extent that I couldn’t be at peace with myself.

Meredith too stepped forward until she was a foot away. “My problem is that you came out of nowhere and have upset the balance in this household. Theodore is on edge because of you, and I don’t appreciate that you can’t just leave him alone.”

Ha! Is this woman delusional or just downright stupid? Had she no idea that if anyone didn’t want to be near her beloved boss it was me? Ever since that man walked into my life, he’d sent me on an emotional rollercoaster. And lucky for him, he wasn’t the one whisked away to a foreign land where I was finding it hard to cope with the madness that went on around him. And also, unlike him, I couldn’t just pack my back and run off to wherever because I was still deeply mingled with this crappy debt I owed him.

I was about to back hand her with my venomous words when the twins came barrelling down the stairs and effectively dissipated the situation before it escalated any further. “Maya! Grandma told us that you’re leaving. Can we come with you too?” Aiden ran up to me and grabbed my hand in his.

“Yeah, we’re tired of being here all the time and want to go too,” Brianna beamed, her eyes glistening with hope.

I smiled down and both of them, totally ignoring the demon who was standing beside me. “Guys, I can’t go with you,” I told them gently and they both pouted. “But maybe we can go to an amusement park someday this week? How does that sound?” They both nodded their heads in glee. “Why don’t you go watch something and I’ll see you when I come back?”

Mend My HeartOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara