26 || my mom took my phone

| CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
| my mom took my phone

| CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX| my mom took my phone

ɴᴏʟᴀɴ ᴍᴜʟʟᴇɴ

At first, I wasn't worried about Oakley not texting me it all. I figured he was busy touring, or maybe the connection was acting up because of the traveling, or maybe he was simply tired. After all, I didn't text him every day either. My mom was still taking my phone every work day, and at night I was tired sometimes too.

But now that I hadn't heard from him in a whole week, after texting multiple times, I'd become worried.

"Nolan!" my mom called. I was faintly in the background, far enough for me to ignore. 

I stared at the messages I'd sent Oakley, expecting a reply. It was the first time I'd noticed the message arrived in a few days, which should be a good sign, but I found myself doubting that conclusion.

You:
Hey, how was your day?

You:
Good morning

You:
What are you doing rn?

You:
Are you ok?

You:
I heard you were sick, I hope you're feeling better soon!

I had made a fool out of myself being the first to text without a reply this much, but the damage was done. The only thing I could do about it was accept that he didn't want to talk right now.

"Nolan," my mom said, opening the door to my bedroom. "Are you ready?"

"Yeah," I said, getting up from my bed, but staring at the messages the entire time until my phone was in her hands. I didn't mind it being taken today. I needed a distraction from this whole not-replying situation anyway. I expected her to take it and make her way towards her car, but she didn't. She instead held out my car keys between two of her freshly manicured fingers and gave them to me.

"You're driving yourself today. I have an appointment in an hour," she explained.

"An appointment to do what?"

"A new client. A young influencer who would like to get into acting. She doesn't have much experience yet but she took some acting classes in high school."

I didn't care much for my mom's work, so I didn't ask anything else.

"Okay," I said. "Bye." I walked past her to get to the hallway and quickly made my way downstairs.

•••

When I got home that night, my phone was on my kitchen table, and my mom was still gone.