Chapter 11

Chapter 11

“This is where you will heat the food…” I explained to Marylyn while pointing at the microwave.

“I know that silly girl,” she rolled her heavily made-up eyes and stomped her foot. “The point i...how do I heat it?”

I picked up the grilled sandwich kept next to the microwave on the shiny granite slab and shoved it into the microwave. I set the temperature and pushed the button.

“Wow, it goes round and round,” Marylyn said gleefully looking at the sandwich rotating inside.

I stared her, doubting her sanity. Every person on the face of earth knew how to operate a microwave, except for my lovely step-mother. It wasn’t surprising though, taking into consideration that she had never stepped into the kitchen to work. I tried not to roll my eyes as she watched the rotating sandwich like a puppy dog watching a piece of meat being swayed in front of its face.

“So, you understood?” I switched the micro off.

She ignored me and opened the microwave door. Marylyn shoved her hands inside to take the sandwich out before I could stop her.

“HOT! HOT! HOT!” she nursed her hand and jumped all around the kitchen as I stifled a giggle. She was going to have a lot of fun without me. I wish I could bug the entire house with cameras which recorded her effort to work while I would be gone. I’m sure if I sent those videos to a show called, “Stupidest people ever”, her video would be on the top of their list.

“Oh…are you hurt?” I said trying to sound concerned.

“No, it’s tickling. Of course you idiot! Go fetch some ointment and bandage for me; I will be in my room. I’m sure I’ll have to get treated for 3rd degree burns,” she snapped at me.

“It’s not that bad…”

“How would you know? You didn’t get hurt. I’ve a good mind to cancel your camping trip,” she grumbled.

“Okay then we’ll go for the mother and daughter project,” I shrugged nonchalantly.

“You’d like to see me suffer…wouldn’t you? You evil girl?” she walked out of the kitchen wincing.

I was really looking forward to the trip. Three days away from the devil and her minion…how couldn’t I like it? Oh, sweet freedom. I had already packed my bag for the trip. My bag consisted of a two super hot dresses, three dressy tops, short jean shorts, skinny jeans and a denim micro mini skirt. I know it sounded a little over the top but I had to tame Blaze by hook or crook. He had scored more than me in the game that we were playing due to his surprise visit to my ‘house’. This time he was going down.

“TIANA!” I was zapped out of my wonder world by Marylyn’s voice.

***

“Did you get a hot top?” Chas asked me as we climbed in the bright yellow school bus.

“Well…” I hesitated.

“You didn’t! Did you?” she glared at me and stopped in the way resulting in student traffic as the way to climb the bus was blocked by her.

“Miss Lane!” Mr. Kingsley thundered.

Chase shook her head and moved along, “I was counting on you.”

“Listen to me at least!” I said trying to calm her down as I sat down.

“What?” she pouted folding her arms over her chest.