Chapter 14

Chapter 14

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,” Stacy screamed as Chas bumped into her from behind.

“Are you out of your mind?” Chas asked a little scared.

Stacy’s screaming had no doubt scared all of the girls to the core. The woods looked extremely menacing in the dark. It was a moonless night. So, the whole area was enveloped in complete and utter darkness. I didn’t understand why we had accepted the stupid challenge which the boys had offered. Yeah, I remember now. We all would've been teased for the rest of our high school lives and would’ve been known as chickens. It was hard not to chicken out though. I felt chilled to my bones. Imagine walking deep in the woods in the middle of the night, heading towards a seemingly haunted mansion and a girl suddenly screams. Yes, that is what Stacy’s scream had done.

“I-I you freaked me out…when you bumped into me…I thought it was a ghost or something,” Stacy stammered.

“Ghosts have no substance idiot,” Chas stated, “They would like, pass right through you.”

“How do you know? Have you ever seen one?” I asked.

Chas shook her head as if to say, I can’t believe it…you are taking sides with this Blondie?

It was easy to sympathise with Stacy. Maybe I would have screamed too if someone had bumped into me in this spooky place. What was up with the trees? They swayed lightly in the winds with their branches curled like talons ready to attack us. I would have given my right arm to get out of that place.

All the girls walked silently towards the sinister looking mansion. The dry leaves made sickening crunching noise as we stepped on them. I gulped hard as we approached the mansion. That building was indeed a miserable looking structure. The colour of the walls was hard to make out due to the fact that there was no natural light and the harsh yellow light of our torches failed to reveal the actual colour of the mansion. It was easy to see the decay and algae forming on the dejected walls.

“On time,” Blaze grinned checking his watch.

“Let’s just get over with this,” I said shivering slightly as cold air hit my arms. The wind was slightly nippy and I could feel the sting of the whipping wind on my face.

“This is going to be fun,” Zack smiled.

“Yes…wandering into haunted mansions is fun,” Chas rolled her eyes.

“So you believe in ghosts!” Zack pounced on her.

“Eat shit Zack,” Chas growled.

“Hey…don’t fight,” Eric said nervously. It seemed that awful place was bothering him too.

“Come on…in we go now,” Cruz said looking at the mansion grimly, “May the Jenson's ghost not haunt this house tonight.”

“Whatever…” Chas stuck out her tongue and started to walk towards the rusty Iron Gate. It took three boys to open the ominous looking black gate. With a squeaking sound the gate finally opened.

“I'm going back,” Stacy winced.

“Me too,” Alison agreed, wiping the sweat off her forehead.

“Fine go back, you scaredy cats,” Chas snapped. “You both will have to go back alone…so there are more chances of getting mauled by ghost if you go back, because here you will be surrounded by a lot of people.”

Stacy and Alison silently nodded as they got Chas’ point.

We walked on the ground covered with weeds and sharp twigs. The whole class was gradually proceeding towards the mansion. I held on to Zack as he was the one closest to me. He patted my hand gently. Blaze was leading us followed by his sister Chas. Stacy and Cruz were literally wrapped into each other. There was definitely something going on between them I thought smiling briefly but my smile immediately faded as we stood in front of the door of the Jenson mansion. Well…there was no actual door. Taking in consideration the charred remains, maybe the door had burned previously.