Ch. 6: Crushing Blow

My alarm blares in my ear yet again. I slam my hand over the clock to get it to shut up. Thankfully the first try, it shut up. I quickly get up and start my school routine; the showering, brushing teeth, the whole nine yards. I grab some toast and jam and sprint towards the door. Papa is in the chair that is positioned by the door. It's his thinking chair when he works on his sermons. I kiss the top of his head and race out the door. I get to school in ten minutes which is normal. I don't see Hayden or his group outside which means they aren't here yet. I can finally go to my locker without an incident. I quickly grab the books I will need for class and my notebook.

As I round the corner to turn to my first class; I scurry backwards behind the wall. Hayden and his group are standing against the wall. I only stopped because I heard my name.

"How's the bet going?" Collin laughs out.

"I'm telling you, you can't make that Katie freak become your friend Hayden." Kellie says with a bored voice.

"I'm telling you she's incapable of being friends with anyone. I mean who would want to? She's a freak and her father is the damn preacher. Everything has to be done right by the eyes of God's with them."Remy deadpans.

"I didn't...." Hayden begins to say.

I don't even listen to his statement. I refuse to even listen to him at all. He sounded beyond mad but I don't want to stick around to hear what he was about to say. I inhale slowly and exhale.

Just breathe Katie.

I take my bundled up courage and begin to walk out into the open. Every single one of them stops talking when I come into view. I keep my head down and keep my eyes on my feet.

I probably should buy some new shoes. These are getting a little worn out.

"Katie!"

I don't stop for Hayden, I keep pushing forward through the crowded hallways. I take my seat at my table and pull out my textbook, notebook, and pencil. I open my textbook to today's lesson and open my notebook to a clean slate of paper. My pencil is sitting on top of my opened notebook.

The door opens and a fuming Hayden comes walking in. He slams the door in his friends faces and takes his seat, aggressively, next to mine. I don't acknowledge him any. His friends enter with shocked expressions on each of their faces.

"Katie."

Still I don't even look up at him. My eyes are focused on my notebook. It looks more interesting than having to hear what he's about to say.

"Katie!"

I begin to play with my fingers instead. Picking at my nail polish seems more interesting than anything right now.

"Damn it Katie!"

His loud voice startles me causing me to jump in my seat. My jumping causes my knees to hit the bottom of our table. Which causes my pencil to fall in the floor next to Hayden. Hayden reaches down at his feet and picks my pencil up. He lays it back on my notebook like he would do for a 'friend'. However, I'm not a friend so why is he picking my pencil back up.

"Thanks." I whisper out.

"Finally! She talks." He says sarcastically.

That is the only word I have spoken to him all day. I've been ignoring his presence since this morning. When the last bell rings, I rush to my faith old car. As I get to my car I find Hayden standing at it with his arms crossed. His friends aren't around which confuses me. But what confuses me more is why is he by my car? As I make it to my car, more specifically, my driver door where he is standing. His towering figure looks down at my petite form.

"What is wrong?" Hayden asks.

"It's better if we don't work on school things outside of school." I answer.

"Why?" He questions me.

"I'm not a bet. I'm a human beings and prefer to be treated as such. So just leave me alone." I answer with fire burning in my eyes.

"Katie. I never betted on anything. Especially not you. I would nev....." He starts to explain.

"It doesn't matter. I am not a doormat, I'm not an easy a, I'm not a bet. I am a person. A person with feelings. A person who should matter to people. Not whatever I am to you and everyone else. We aren't even acquaintances Hayden. Why pretend? You haven't talked to me since fifth grade. Why start now?" I rant out.

He stands before me gobsmacked over my rant. I squeeze between him and my car. I open my door and turn back to look at him.

"I thought you could be a miracle but I'm sadly mistaken. There's no miracle there. There never was." I mumble out.

I close my door as I start my car. I back out of my spot and head towards my house. Just a few more weeks in English with him before we aren't partners anymore. Four more months of Psychology before he's no longer my partner. I don't speak to him during our tutoring group for the middle school children. I have to speak to him during Constellations club. I'm just counting down the months before we graduate and I no longer have to deal with Hayden Liam Huxley.

I pull up in my driveway and drop my bag down at the piano. For hours I graciously slide my fingers across the keys. The piano has a way of making me forget about the days events. It makes me go into my own little musical world. A world where it's peaceful and all I can hear are the piano notes.

Nothing else.

And nothing else matters.

I play Bastien Grivet's Heartbeat. It's one of my favorite pieces to play. It's relaxing to me for some reason. After playing for hours, I decided to head up to my room. I'm exhausted and ready for bed. I don't have an appetite so I will not be eating tonight. I pull my covers up to my neck and drift off to sleep.

Only thought playing in my head is tomorrow will be better. I know it.

It has to be.