Ch.8: Starting Over

I have handed Hayden his summaries back today. Which shocked him that I did so.

"Thanks. It was beautiful you know." I whisper.

"It's just my truth and my opinion." Hayden states.

"Thanks for not writing entirely on how I'm a 'freak'." I joke.

"Can I ask you something Katie?" Hayden asks.

"Sure?" I say more as a question.

"Can we start over?" He asks.

"Huh?" I say confused.

"Start over. Friends?" He asks with his hand out towards me.

I begin to think of my options and in seconds knew my answer.

"New start." I say while shaking his hand.

We both drop each other's hand and quickly fall into a comfortable silence.

"Friends outside of school?" I ask.

"Do what?" He says discombobulated.

"Friends just outside of school?" I ask again.

"What?! No, outside and inside." Hayden declares.

Now, it's my turn to stand shocked and discombobulated. His reputation is going to go down the drain when people see us hanging out and talking while in school. Outside of school it would be easier for him to hide our friendship.

What is he doing?

What is he thinking?

My honey eyes lock in with his light green one. I can't tell what his emotions are through his eyes. They keep changing every two seconds. He has a beautiful smile plastered on his face; which is showing off his perfectly straight teeth.

"The hilltop later?" He asks.

"The hilltop." I agree with my own smile on my face.

What is this boy doing to me?

Ugh!

I get into my car and head home. When dinner time has arrived. I, not so ladylike, scarf down my food. I set my dishes in the dishwasher and scurry to my room. I grab my telescope bag and head down the stairs.

"The hilltop?" Papa asks.

"Yes papa." I answer in a rush.

"Is that boy going to be there Katie?" Papa questions.

"His name is Hayden papa! And yes he will be there." I say a little louder.

"I don't like this Katie. That boy isn't good." Papa states.

"Aren't you the one who said to never judge?" I question back.

"You know the rules Katie. No friends. No boyfriends. No boys." Papa declares.

"He's just one friend papa. And he was my friend when I was younger. I don't see the difference. I think I can make my own choices and rules now." I explain.

"Your health Katie. This isn't good." Papa says.

"I feel more alive than I ever been. I'm not wasting away dreading my time. I'm actually happy papa. I'll be fine." I declare.

"I don't know Katie. That boy." Papa starts to say.

"His name is Hayden, not some boy. And he's a friend. I'm just teaching him the stars and constellations for our club. Nothing more. Nothing less. I'll be home within three hours. I'll be fine. Trust me. Please." I beg my papa.